Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch a plasterboard hole with different thickness?

lukec
Getting Established

How to patch a plasterboard hole with different thickness?

Bit of an odd question. I have some holes in the ceiling I need to patch and it turns out my ceiling plaster is 16mm thick. I've got plenty of 10mm plasterboard laying around, and I can see I can buy 13mm however I'm finding it near on impossible to source 16mm plasterboard to fix the few holes I have. I had alternatively thought about patching with 2 x stacked 8mm, but from what I can see, 8mm is not a thing. 

My question is - do I just keep searching until I can source something thick enough (at probably great expense for a large sheet to fill a few small holes), or is there any sensible way I can neatly patch with a thinner board? 

Cheers for your help

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Patching a plasterboard hole with different thickness patch

Hi @lukec,

How large are these holes? Feel free to upload some images, so our knowledgeable members have a better idea of what you're dealing with. If they are smaller holes, you can use filler or, for medium-sized holes, plaster patches. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to patch plaster.

I suspect these are larger holes if you're looking to replace sections of plaster. There's no need to use 16mm plaster for the patch. You can use your 10mm plaster, but you'll need to use timber to make up the 6mm difference. You can screw through the plaster into a couple of timber strips on the rear of the plaster. Then glue 6mm thick strips of timber to them. You'll have a firm backing at the correct depth to screw your 10mm plaster onto and then fill around. I've created a rendering below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lukec
Getting Established

Re: Patching a plasterboard hole with different thickness patch

Hi Mitchell, 

Thanks for the reply. The holes are around 300x300 (I forgot to mention that initially). Unfortunately, no photos as I've already filled it in however your mockup looks pretty accurate to what I'm working with. 

I ended up backing the 10mm plasterboard with a 10mm sheet of ply. I did a full square of ply and having looked at your mockup, the single strips of ply are a far more efficient way to do things, so I'll remember that for the next hole!

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

iveg
Building a Reputation

Re: How to patch a plasterboard hole with different thickness?

Hi Luke. 16 mm plaster board is fire rated. Bunnings do sell this product, may be special order. Product is called Fyrchek. If you don't need a full sheet which is expensive and comes in a 3.6 metre sheet. Try calling a store and see if they have an off cut, or a cover sheet or a damaged sheet you may get free or at cheaper cost to you. Otherwise Mitch's advice is the way to go. Don't forget to put Gyprock paper tape over your joints when finishing, otherwise cracking can occur at your joints. I use and recommend multi purpose Gyprock jointing compound for all my plastering repairs and installs. It is pre mixed and easy to use. Good luck my friend.

Screenshot_2023-03-20-17-53-18-22.jpg

Screenshot_2023-03-20-17-29-04-35.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch a plasterboard hole with different thickness?

Hello @iveg 

Thank you very much for sharing your suggestion on how to patch a plasterboard hole. Let me tag @lukec to make sure they see your recommendation. Using Gyprock multipurpose joint compound is definitely the way to go when sealing up large, damaged areas on your wall.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects