Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch up large cutouts on a wall?

thezaza101
Just Starting Out

How to patch up large cutouts on a wall?

We had recently removed a wall-mounted AC unit which left behind 2 large cutouts in the wall, the holes are 309mm x 245mm and 75mm x 70mm. I've seen plenty of discussions around how to patch up smaller holes with a filler but I'm unsure on how to fix large cutouts. How would I about fixing these?

holes.jpg

Humdinger
Growing in Experience

Re: How to patch up large cutouts on a wall

As the holes appear to be close together the best option is to cut one big rectangular hole, Do not go higher or lower than needed, on the sides though cut the plaster out to the next stud so you can secure the new piece.

Be extra careful cutting out the plaster near pipes and cables inside the wall. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to patch up large cutouts on a wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @thezaza101. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Great to see you have already received helpful advice from @Humdinger. It sounds like an excellent suggestion to cut out one hole. 

You would then just have to follow the directions in the video below or contained in this popular discussion - An easy way to repair holes in plaster walls

Hope that helps. Please don't hesitate to post again if you need any further assistance.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects