Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare a benchtop join for painting

AlsoCass
Growing in Experience

How to prepare a benchtop join for painting

We have installed our study benchtop, and it is looking really good. The goal is to fully paint the benchtops, but we are not sure how to prepare the joins.

I would like the joins to be difficult to see, if possible, (but only if I don't have to do 5hrs of extra work to make that happen).

20210704_102637.jpg    20210704_102644.jpg    20210704_102647.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare a benchtop join for painting

Hello @AlsoCass

It's great to see that you've made excellent progress with your benchtop.

I suggest removing the benchtop on the right and sanding the side until it is flush with the benchtop on the left. I recommend using a UNi-PRO Cork Sanding Block and Flexovit 100mm x 1m 240 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll. Please do not use this sandpaper on the top of your benchtop as it will leave very large sanding marks.

Slowly sand only the side of the benchtop until the gap between the benchtops is very small. Once the join is minimal you can use timber filler if you wish to make the gap totally hidden. You will need to use Flexovit 100mm x 1m 400 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll very lightly on the spot you placed the filler in to give it a flat finish. Once you are satisfied with the overall finish you can then paint the benchtop.

We look forward to seeing the finished project. Please let us know if you need more information.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AlsoCass
Growing in Experience

Re: How to prepare a benchtop join for painting

Righto, I shall pass the info on (Meanwhile I am going to spend two days riding my bike, I am told it will be looking prime when I get back).

Thank you again!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects