Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to proceed with attic storage?

mike13
Finding My Feet

How to proceed with attic storage?

Hey Team, I’m wanting to add attic storage to our house but haven’t had much luck speaking with engineers - who want to take my first born for any advice provided. 

71B59BBE-68B4-4140-A9B5-989C4BB6540A.jpeg

This is the current timber from top plate upwards overlayed to scale on the house plans (see below for house plan dimensions). The large red beam is an LVL that spans the drop zone (3 odd metres).

I’m wanting to know if that LVL will support “floor joists” for mdf floor boards or do I need to create a new subfloor.

I’ve got creative on sketchup and thinking either steel or wood , adding another LVL to assist. The one below is steel, sliding a larger section in adjacent to the LVL to pick up the joist hanger. (If that makes sense).

16169571-F692-407F-A04F-17256E6DF768.png

Hoping someone can provide some advice - as I don’t think laying boards straight onto the ceiling joists is wise - which is the advice I’ve been given by attics storage installers! ? 

A50BD4EF-D6B6-4D07-88CD-8F820C141CF6.png

This is the same as above but from above.

B6701594-C99A-4577-BC83-2F20D44CF31A.jpeg

 This is the house plans.

262BC230-C91A-409B-8E4F-0F704938FB3C.jpeg

this is an alternative plan - with timber but only if I’m able to make use of  the LVL.

DB1D2E1E-AF6E-42C9-8017-222C2BA30D1E.jpeg

this is the LVL and ceiling joist hanger to the right.

F6C60C7C-A405-4DC9-BEEF-FD2EF3ADC287.jpeg

this is standing on the LVL looking across the area (pre ladder being installed).

Any help/advice would be appreciated!!

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to proceed with attic storage

Hi @shelldan08,

I'm slightly confused here, where is the brickwork you're speaking about?

Do you have a photo of this?

Is this actual structural brickwork or is it a mere brick veneer on the outside of the building?

Now, normally when you have a structural steel beam fabricated for a building, it will either be RHS (rectangular hollow section) or RSJ (Rolled Steel Joist), this is in the shape like an H, either way both will have steel flanges with pre-drilled holes, arc welded to the ends of the beam, these are designed to be bolted through very substantial timber with M16 or M20 high tensile bolts and Nylock nuts to hold them in place.

Believe you me, when you start to get into engineered designs and what-not, that is where the money goes, yes the result is pleasing and safe, the onus needs to be on the latter.

Doing something like this cheap, is not an option.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects