Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upcycle to expand a vacuum cleaner catchment?

Fuzzyfuzzball
Just Starting Out

How to upcycle to expand a vacuum cleaner catchment?

I am considering helping to re-paint my friends place and it will be such a drag emptying the dust catchment system (domestic vacuum cleaner 😋) when sanding and putting in new power points ect.

I was thinking of something setup along the hose to get all the larger particles before they fill up so much of the vacuum cleaners catchment needing emptying

I am sure these could be hired at a lot of places but lets upcycle where we can and not buy such specialized equipment for a probably once off project

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to upcycle to expand a vacuum cleaner catchment?

Hi @Fuzzyfuzzball 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about expanding your vacuum cleaner catchment.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Need advice - Wet Dry Vacuums VS Dust Extractors by @Tara86. There is an example of a bucket attached to the vacuum cleaner as a primary chamber to catch all the dust. This takes the brunt of the debris and does not go into the vacuum cleaner's main chamber.

Generally, you would need an extra hose to connect the vacuum cleaner to the bucket. My best advice is to make sure both of the hoses are connected at the top of the bucket.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @JoeAzza and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Fuzzyfuzzball , I have a cyclone set up for my small Ozito vacuum, the unit catches 99% of the saw dust, I paid $139 from Timbecon in Melbourne, the are also situated in Perth, I also found this diy unit, parts are probably available from Bunnings 

https://youtu.be/1WnitgYFnE0
hopefully this helps.

IMG_9887.jpeg

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @JoeAzza , I'll be making one of those.  I hope that buckets suitable for interlocking are easy to find.

Maybe using this one 20L  bucket ("pail") will do... has good reviews for its strength.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bunnings-20l-pail-bucket_p0138319

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @TedBear , could you please let me know if you do make one, I wouldn’t mind making another for one of my old vacuum cleaners.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @Fuzzyfuzzball 

I have to agree with the guys on this one, My first thought was an wet/dry vacume cleaner but you mention you dont want to go down the track of spealilized equipment. Something to keep in mind is if its a household cleaner you will prob end up having to replace the vacuum cleaner if you have as much sanding of paint ect the poor little vacuum cleaner will be working hard. I have killed a vacuum cleaner like that.

If you look at the overall price it may well be worth it to get a wet/dry system ozito wet dry vacuum It should have a larger capacity then a household vacuum.

I do like The seperater bucket design @JoeAzza and @TedBear have shown. In fact Id like it for myself :smile: So if you are handy then that would work for sure. Simplicity I find is usually the best course.

Good luck with the sanding :smile:

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Fuzzyfuzzball 

the advantage of a wet/dry vacuum cleaner like @Dave-1 linked to is that they also have a blower function. 

When sucking dirt, you only get that which is near the nozzle, whereas a blower can dislodge dirt and dust that is caught in unreachable places. (And then you may have to vacc that up too though. ) They are an excellent investment for many tasks around the home.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

:smile: Thank you @TedBear 

I hadnt even considered that aspect. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects