Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-plant into indoor ceramic pots?

DebD
Getting Established

How to re-plant into indoor ceramic pots?

I have a few indoor plants, they are still in their plastic pots. I would like to plant them into my ceramic pots. What is the best way to do this? 

Sue_P
Finding My Feet

Re: How to re-plant into indoor ceramic pots?

Leave them in their plastic pots, and pop them into decorative ceramic pots without drainage holes. Just remember to drain off any water sitting in the base of the decorative pot to avoid the soil getting waterlogged which will lead to root rot. As the plants grow, re-pot into larger plastic pots and upgrade to a larger decorative one. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DebD. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about planting into ceramic pots.

It's great to see another brand new member, @Sue_P, provide an excellent solution. That would be my advice as well and is how I currently have my indoor plants potted. It's super simple to slip the plastic pot out, place it under a running tap in the sink and saturate the soil. I'll let it sit there to drain full for 15mins before returning it to the ceramic pot. As mentioned, this solves a whole heap of issues surrounding potting into none draining decorative pots.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and we'd love to see your plants potted up when you get the chance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: planting into indoor ceramic pots

A big welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community to you too @Sue_P!

It's wonderful to see you jump straight in with some excellent advice. We'd also be keen to hear about your own projects and plans around the house and garden. Feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

No doubt you'll be able to assist many of our members with their garden-related issues, and I'm sure in turn you'll receive plenty of helpful advice as well.

Great to have you on board.

Mitchell

DebD
Getting Established

Thank you, I will need to see if i can get some plugs or workout the best way to seal the drainage hole

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DebD,

I let my plastic pots drain into the sink until they are no longer dripping before placing them back into their ceramic pots. That should stop the need for plugging the ceramic pot holes. Any residual water could be contained in a saucer. To plug the holes you can fill them with Selleys 100g Clear Ezi Press Wet Area Silicone. I like to cut a small piece of plastic from a milk bottle and tape it to the bottom of the ceramic pot. You can then fill the hole up from the inside with silicone. Once dry, you can remove the piece of plastic.

Mitchell

DebD
Getting Established

Thanks Sue, i have done the majority this way. I ended up getting self watering pots for the bigger indoor plants. 

DebD
Getting Established

Thank you MitchellMc I sealed a couple of the pots as you suggested, was super easy to do. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects