Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to recoat timber stairs?

damien-22
Growing in Experience

How to recoat timber stairs?

Hi all! My timber stairs are scratched up from wear and tear, as well as some chips etc. wanting to sand them back and recoat them. 
they are not stained, just like clear coat..? 

Best way to sand them?

what do I use to recoat them?

I heard something about needing non slip paint?

thanks!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to recoat timber stairs?

Hi @damien-22,

Are your stairs indoor or outdoors? Would you be able to share some photos so members can see what you are working with?

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
damien-22
Growing in Experience

Forget to mention, they are indoor stairs

will get some pics up tonight

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @damien-22

While we're waiting for your photos, I recommend having a look at this discussion - D.I.Y. internal stairs using MDF by @Clint_hayward. My number one tip before you begin is to try and identify if you have a water-based or oil-based sealer on your stairs. You'll have to do a test on one of the steps with a clean rag and some methylated spirits. Dip a corner of the clean rag and rub a small portion of the step. If the lacquer softens and proceeds to rub off it is water-based, but if the surface only shines and polishes it is oil-based.

However, if you are planning to sand them back down to timber, then it won't matter as you'll be putting on a totally new coat on your stairs.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture.

The techniques used are applicable to the restoration of your stairs. The only difference will be the number of coats you'll be applying to your steps.

We look forward to seeing your photos.

Eric

damien-22
Growing in Experience

A7D3D765-FDBA-4049-82E4-221D029A867E.jpeg

70DA96DD-F6E9-4EC4-B68D-506E32DE3BC3.jpeg

Thanks for the photo @damien-22.

Let me tag @EricL so he is alerted to your reply. I'm sure he will get back to you ASAP.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @damien-22

Thank you very much for posting those pictures of your stairs. Looking at its current condition, I think it's time for a new coat of sealer. To make sanding a lot quicker, I suggest investing in an electric sander. You can get wired or cordless depending on what tools you currently have. If for example, you have a Ryobi One + drill system then all you need to do is to purchase a sander that is compatible with the One + system and the battery on your drill will work on your sander. The drawback is that you'll need at least 2 batteries to continue working without waiting for the battery to charge.

Of course, a cabled sander will give you uninterrupted service, but you'll need to invest in a long extension cord. As I mentioned in my last post you need to identify what type of sealer is on your steps whether it's water-based or oil-based. Once you know which one you have you can then start to look at the finishes available gloss, low sheen, satin and matt finish.  My number one tip for choosing your polyurethane sealer is to make sure that it is for floor use, not furniture use. 

Unfortunately, most of the non-slip coating is intended for outside industrial use. I suggest using a satin finish instead of a high gloss finish to provide a better grip on the steps.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

damien-22
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for the tips and info!! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects