Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a cracked concrete ground slab

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

How to repair a cracked concrete ground slab

There are many reasons why concrete cracks.  Reinforced concrete crack repair requires particular care as the reinforcement can corrode over time causing the concrete to spall.

Remember when in doubt always consult an engineer

Here are my engineering details for the DIYers for a top notch repairDiy Slab repairs.jpg

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to repair a cracked concrete ground slab

@BIM_Engineer

Are you of the opinion that there's only two types of concrete - concrete with cracks and concrete that is about to crack?

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

It's a bit more complicated than that, what governs all concrete/design is type of structural member & load actions, stresses,serviceability, durability, placement, safety and ultimately ductile failure (AS 3600 Concrete design).Engineers avoid brittle failures (opposite to ductile) these are catastrophic failures without warning which dont faciliate evacuation prior to collapse 
In the above it's slab on ground there is no collape-> ground conditions, aesthetics, repair or replacement & costs.

Kira
Finding My Feet

When it comes to minor slab repairs, stay away from using concrete to fill cracks and holes. It will actually only perpetuate the issue, as you may deal with additional cracks and holes in this new concrete, further on down the line. Instead, look for resin-based crack filler or expoxy, solutions which are far stronger and will hold up under pressure. Read more

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the conversation @Kira.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. I hope you find plenty of useful information, advice and inspiration on the site. I'm looking forward to reading about your projects and plans soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Helen
Having an Impact

Thanks @Kira for your information, something to think about, my shed is a garden & storage area but If I repair it I would like it to last, so very useful post!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects