Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a smashed bay window?

Russ42
Building a Reputation

How to repair a smashed bay window?

In the recent winds we had an edge tile fall off the roof onto a roof glass of a bathroom "bay" window. (see the photos). It is about 6m high so to access the top of the glass panel I would need scaffold. It is too hot in this bathroom in summer with this glass panel so we keep it covered. I am thinking, instead of replacing the glass involving hiring scaffold, etc. I could simply silicon (or sykaflex) a sheet of aluminium up onto the glass panel and insulate under this. The broken glass is laminated and mostly just the top laminate is broken. The silicon will seal the cracks in the bottom sheet of glass so the panel would be water tight and the glass would supply support for the aluminium sheet, which is pretty light. I can add supports under the aluminium sheet also with about 2cm of polystyrene for insulation and fibre cement sheet to hold it all up. Any foreseeable problems or suggestions are very welcome.

My first thought was to remove the panel and repair it but I was told by a glass guy there are screw which need to be undone which can only be accessed from above. I will take a look from the roof when the wind dies down. I can access them if I remove the glass from below first, but I cannot replace them.

Thanks in advanceIMG_3588 (1).JPGIMG_3587.JPG

Russ42
Building a Reputation

Re: Smashed window repair

Thanks Dave. I don't have a view out of it anyway, otherwise perspex would be an option. We need to insulate it anyway as the bathroom is like a furnace in summer. Will post the job. Need a few days of a lot less wind and no rain. The second is easy, the first....not so much.

Russ42
Building a Reputation

Re: How to repair a smashed bay window?

Missed this, sorry Dave. We have insurance but the excess is $5000. I think the plan to: replace the glass with aluminium and support it with ply with some insulation between will work well, cost little, and not subject me to heights. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair a smashed bay window?

Afternoon @Russ42 

Ouch to the excess 😕 and yep that puts it firmly in your scope :smile: That description sounds good and the only thing id suggest is to make sure that aluminuim is waterproofed :smile: Sounds like it should work nicely.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects