Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair wood root in an exterior door door jam?

tibz_timber
Growing in Experience

How to repair wood root in an exterior door door jam?

I have discovered wood root at the bottom of the laundry door door jams.  It affects the bottom 100-150mm on each side.  I have both a solid laundry door that opens in and a 3 point security door opening outward.

I have watched multiple YouTube videos on how to repair and fell that I know what to do but I have a few questions.

1.  In Australia can I just cut out the damaged portion and replace it or do I have to replace the full verticals on both sides.

2.  In undertaking this job I am concerned that the tiles have been put on after the timber.  This appears to have provided the scope for the water to be trapped between the timber and tiles and therefore root.  I was wondering if it would be better to tile and then insert the timber, this way the waterproofing would between the tiles and brickwork and the timber would sit above that so as not to create a pool of water.

I have provided photos of the damage below.

DSCN2986.JPGDSCN2987.JPGDSCN2988.JPG

PS.  There is no step actual outside this door, just a drop of 250-300mm to pebbles and the occasional concrete pavers used a stepping stones.  I need to address this also but that is a later project.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair wood root in an exterior door door jam.

Hi @tibz_timber,

You might like to have a read-through of this recent discussion: Fixing rotten door moulding by @stelz. Once you start digging out the rot, you'll discover the extent and how much of the frame needs to be replaced. If the rot is not particularly bad, you can follow my instructions in that discussion by binding the exiting timber and then filling the void. 

You can partially replace the frame instead of the whole piece of timber if there is solid material behind to fix into. You'll then need to do some work filling and blending in the join. In some scenarios, it could be easier to replace the full length of the door jamb.

It looks like the exposed bottom end grain of the timber has sucked up any water that has landed on the doorsill. I believe you'd likely face the same problem whether the tiles were installed after the timber or not. A door seal can be screwed on the exterior of the security door to prevent the water from creeping underneath. If the water is also penetrating through the mesh material, you could consider a canopy.

Wilmaplex Treated Pine Ezistep 1 Tread Stringer Kit and Wilmaplex 240 x 45 x 900mm Treated Pine Domestic Stair Tread could be a simple solution to your 300mm drop. Alternatively, if it is only a 250mm drop, adding an Everhard 250 x 50 x 920mm Concrete Step Tread onto the ground outside would bring that to 200mm and closer to a standard step height.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell

I have read you suggestions in the  Fixing rotten door moulding by @stelz discussion.  I have used Builder's Bog previously to fix wood rot so understand that option.  My initial thoughts were to use a multi-tool to cut the door jamb with a neat straight cut and then use a replacement piece of door jamb timber to replace the timber removed.  Can I purchase double sided door jamb timber from Bunnings?  If not I will good down the Builder's Bog route.

On the point of water penetrating the area in the future, yes, I am going to consider a canopy as the door faces south and is exposed to the weather as the eaves are are about 4 m up.  I am limited to 700mm distance out from the house as there is an easement along this side of the house.

Thanks

We have the Hume External Door Jamb 140 x 30 Meranti Double Rebate 44/25 @tibz_timber.

Is it a vehicle access easement, and do they use it often? The canopies are removable, so although it would be a bit of work, you could take it down if needed. However, something like the Altamonte 1000 x 700mm Clear Corsica Canopy With Plastic Bracket would be suitable for your 700mm limitation. 

If the tile is not angled downwards towards the exterior, then a door seal would be a good idea as well. If it is level, then the water could be creeping under the door.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for the pointer on the timber door jamb.  I had found it once but not been able to locate it a second time (just not able to get the search criteria quite right).

With regard to the tiles, they are horizontal from outside the screen door to the centre of the laundry door.  I understand what you are saying with regard to the weather seal.  There was actually an existing weather seal on the laundry door.  It was actually when the plastic stopper mechanism dropper off the door jamb that I realised that I had a wood rot problem.  I will definitely replace the weather seal once I have repaired the damage.

With regard to the easement, it is a 1.5 m drainage easement along one side of the block.  Technically I can't build or place any permanent structure on this area.  The gap between the house and the fence is 2.25 m leaving about 700mm out from the house to work with.  I have a concept that I am still developing that would involve a couple of the 700 mm Altamonte canopies joined to provide increased protection from above for the laundry door and window.  I am hoping to somehow connect to the canopies to a screen mounted at right angles to the brick work on the right hand side (as see from the pictures) to provide a level of protection from the east.  The concept is that under the canopy there will be a 700 mm wide (out from wall) and 900-1500 long step.  I think I need to keep it to less than 150 mm above ground level so as to not block the weep holes and so it is below the damp course.  This is all conceptual at this stage as I need to get the wood rot problem sorted before spending time working out the details of the next stage which is the prevention future damage and enhancement the laundry exit.

Cheers,  Tibz_Timber

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects