Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace rivets in aluminium door frame?

roady
Finding My Feet

How to replace rivets in aluminium door frame?

Rivet A.jpgRivet B.jpg

The rivets holding the aluminium fly screen door frame to the main door frame have over time loosened and/or fallen out. As you can see from the photos some of the original positioning wasn't that flash probably because of the problem I'm having now. I'm using the standard pop rivet gun that I got from Bunnings but because of the tight fit against the brick wall on the outside and the narrow track on the inside I can't get the gun in position. Any suggestions on options would be appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace rivets in aluminium door frame?

Hi @roady 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your aluminium door frame.

Since the space is very tight and you can't get the rivet gun close enough, I propose using Buildex 8-18 x 20mm Zinc Plated Button Head Metal Tek Screws. It will be necessary to drill new mounting holes on the frame as the old rivet holes might be too big for the screw. I suggest using an Irwin Impact Pro Performance 152mm PH2 along with a cordless driver to anchor the screws in place.

One other method I suggest is to invest in a Kincrome 85 Piece Nut Riveter Kit. It has an extended head piece set that should allow you to reach into hard to access areas.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @Brad and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
roady
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eric

I got the kit and the screws etc but the gap was still a problem. However once I had used the screws and the Irwin PH, the frame was very stable and no need for anything else.

So now I have a repaired door and a new tool and fun to be had.

Thank you

John

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @roady 

That's great to hear that you've sorted out your aluminium door frame. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects