Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Insulation of Aluminium front door to reduce noise

Wookie45nz
Just Starting Out

Insulation of Aluminium front door to reduce noise

16249580478182857241499875720044.jpegWe have  Strata aluminum front door but as it is not insulated it allows a lot of traffic noise through. 

Can this be easily insulated?  Thanks..

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Insulation of Aluminum front door

Hello @Wookie45nz 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop and thank you for sharing your question with the community. I would like to say that it should be easy to insulate the aluminum door, but to be safe and thorough can you please post a picture of the actual door that we need to insulate. This will greatly assist us and allow our members to determine what kind of insulation we can recommend.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wookie45nz. It's fantastic that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about sound insulation for a front door.

Was your door something similar to the Strata 2040 x 820 x 41mm Parkwood Aluminium Entrance Door

Some things you could try would be installing heavy woollen curtains or acoustic drapes across the door, adding Raven door seals to seal all gaps and attaching foam tiles to the back of the door. If you have solid floors, placing a rug down behind the door can inhibit the sound waves bouncing around and penetrating further into your home.

I look forward to following along with your project and providing further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Image..I hope.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @wookienz,

Are you trying to attach a picture to your post? Just a reminder that the picture has to be either a .jpg or .png format. Please remember to use the "Upload Images" button at the bottom of the response screen and then choose your photo and press "Done" to apply the changes.

If the picture does not show up on your post please let me know.

Eric

16249580478182857241499875720044.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Great to see that you were able to share that photo with us @wookienz and please let us know if you ever need help navigating the site. We're here to help.

I see that you've already received a few suggestions from @MitchellMc. @EricL will be happy to help further when he's back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Stevie

See pic below in other post..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @wookienz

Thank you for posting the picture of your door. To stop draught from entering the gaps between the door frame and the door, I suggest using the Raven 5m Door And Window Seal - RP14 White. You can also use the Sperling 78cm Double Sided Draught Stopper to stop the wind from entering through the bottom of your door. 

Here is a handy guide to give you more ideas:  How to winter-proof your home

If you need more information please let us know.

Eric

wookienz
Getting Established

How to insulate front door?

Hi. Keen to insulate this Strata front door. Easy to do?

16274334066208410314059889752600.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects