Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chefyash
Cultivating a Following

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

Hi I am a chef and home gardener. in the last few years ive started doing some woodcraft and diy tables etc , mainly for outdoors and my aim here is to share some stuff that i learnt over the years and learn a lot more about other stuff.

Kev
Building a Reputation

Hey Jason,
Welcome back - I hope all is well after hospital?
It's 'onion on top please' and I'll pick up anything that I drop! LOL
Kev
dannyman48
Getting Established

Re: Hi I'm danny Payne

i'm retired because of Genes my mother (rest her sole ) gave me ostearthristis and my father (rest his sole ) gave me rheumatiod arthristis and i was born with out a disc in between L 1 T12 , also just to make sure I have bad plumbing ( quadruple bypass and cloged blood vessels in the legs.

As a result this 65 year old body restricts me to 20 minute bursts of work every hour some times when the moon is in the right place 2 hours.I will put up some pictures of what I have donein the last 5 years. 

I am down but not OUT.

I have 4 grandchildren AND 2 greatgrandkids .

my wife past away in July 2017 of lung cancer ( miss her dearly ) She was the love of my life.

@dannyman48 

Hi Danny,

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear you are suffering from such an insidious medical condition as arthritis. It is such a terrible secretive thing where no one can see how much pain and discomfort a person might be in. I know it's important to keep your joints and body warm so I hope you have a heater in your work area and home??

All that aside, it sounds like you are getting on with life and doing what you can as you can and that is great to hear.

I'm sure you will get plenty of support from the community and I for one look forward to seeing pictures of your projects??

Cheers,

Barbara

Sez
Building a Reputation

Hi my name is Sarah. I’m a single mum with three kids 13yrs; 8yrs and 6month old baby. I recently purchased my very first house. It’s a house from the 70’s that needs a little bit of love and revamp.

DYI projects that I have recently been trying is keeping house plants and succulents alive lol. I have made a few hanging Terrariums.

i have lots of ideas for my new house but the first two are Reno bathroom and kitchen/living area.The beginning of my house plants etcThe beginning of my house plants etc

Outdoor succulent gardenOutdoor succulent garden

My new houseMy new house

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@Sez,

High Sarah, welcome to the community.

Your terrarium display is very pretty but I guess when the little one start crawling and eventually walking you will need to move the lower glass items.

The mother in laws tongue you have beside the TV is a great plant and a good choice for a beginner. You only need to water it every few months as you will more often than not kill most cacti and succulents with over watering as these plants in their natural environment may not see rain for several months and sometimes years.

I can't quite make out the plant on the bottom of your display but I think it is a Peace Lily and again these plants are fantastic for beginners as the leaves simply go limp when the plant needs a drink, although you don't need to wait till then but it is a great way to know when to water and you can give them a good douse under the tap to make sure all the soil get wet.

The succulents at the front door may need extra care if they are subjected to long hot afternoon sun but if they aren't then watering when the soil feels very dry is the right time but even then you don't need to drench the plants unless they are I said earlier facing the afternoon sun where those terracotta planters can dry out very quickly as they are quite porous once you plant them into the planters that is?

The palms in the square planters might need to be re-potted with fresh good quality potting mix annually and kept well watered in the summer as they would normally grow quite large if they were planted in the ground so their roots will be very restricted. You may even find they won't do well at all but time will tell as palms do grow pretty slowly so you do have some time to decide just what you might do in the future.

Look forward to seeing your reno projects unfold so best of luck.

Cheers,

Barbara

Maree1
Cultivating a Following

Hi everyone
My name is Maree, I was born & raised in Tassie.
It wasn't until I had children that I became interested in the outside garden areas. And to my surprise I love it, seeing something grow, reach its peak, die off and regenerate. Planting up natives to attract wildlife & birds to my yards (I'm a renter).
I'm getting on now and Ive just moved into a new unit and not able to do things the way I've done them in the past, so id be really interested in seeing some ideas I might be able to apply to my new courtyard area.
I've 2 sm raised beds to plant up atm. Im considering mulching the whole yard so there's no mowing. Can anyone suggest a good cheap edging so the mulch will stay off the path to my clothesline, I don't really want to use palings I've found slugs love living around them. I'm not into weed mat, I believe in letting my soil breathe. Id really love to incorporate a sm chook house & run, as I love them and a fresh egg now and again.
I look fwd to seeing all your wonderful ideas and projects :smile:
"A snag with sauce " thanks.
Maree1
Cultivating a Following

Hi @dannyman48 

I feel your pain, as we get older it gets worse, but Im real glad to hear that like me when able you get out there and do what you love. I dread the day I wont be able to tackle things and will have to sit back and watch. I have 5 grandchildren and they all love checking out the worm farm. picking the strawberries (in pots these days) before i get to harvest enough to make them some jam. 

This is part of my new small yard & I intend to fill it - God willing :smile:

Im looking fwd to seeing some of your projects you have done :smile: 

Cheers

Maree

A - Sliding doors off lounge into yard.JPG

Sez
Building a Reputation

Thanks Barbara. I have just learnt about reviving my peace lily and now my kids think it’s pretty cool that it goes all limp and shrivelled when it’s thirsty and how quickly it picks itself up again after a drink. Thanks for the advise about my hanging ones out the front I have a feeling this is why they are starting to look a little sad. 

@Maree1 

Hi Maree, It's lovely to have you join the workshop.

I use brick edging to keep my lawn away from the very edge of my flower beds but then I have used limestone offcuts to hold my mulch in place but anything raised might not be particularly suitable for you?

We have built a limestone house so having offcuts wasn't difficult although I did buy extra blocks as my garden was too extensive.

I have slightly raised garden and flower beds as well.

Best of luck with whatever you chose works for you!!

Cheers,

Barbara

100_2725.JPG100_3257.JPGExotic Garden no 2.JPG

Anyway I have attached a few pictures to show you whatI mean.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects