Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Easty
Getting Established

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

Gday Barbara.  Do you remember what sort of orchid it was?   If it was a phaelenopsis (aka moth orchid), they really are disposable plants.  I've had numerous over the years & even if I can keep them alive, they rarely flower again.  Unless you have the perfect growing conditions, I dont think they are not worth the effort!  I read somewhere recently exactky that.  While it seems a waste, if you buy a plant with some well developed buds (ie not all in full bloom), you will get at least 2 or 3 months of the flowers before you chuck it into the compost.  And I would buy them from Bunnings rather than in nurseries as the prices are often half of those at nurseries.  My wife even bought a pot of 2 at Coles for $30 which we had for about 3 months - compare that to the cost of having a bunch of flowers each week for the same period.

Happy to answer any questions when you bite the bonsai bullet.

Cheers & go the Bulldogs (from a Hawks fan)!

DIYgirl
Finding My Feet

Hi all, I have done a few diy projects, some really good others no so bad.

DIYgirl
Finding My Feet

Re: Hi all, I have done a few diy projects, some really good others no so bad.

Please help I don't know on what page you introduce yourself.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Hi @DIYgirl, welcome to the Workshop community, very happy to have you onboard. :bigsmile:

If you'd like to introduce yourself, click on the red  "Discussion" link at the top of the page, then from the drop down menu, select "Getting Started". You'll be taken to anther page with several existing threads. Click on the "Introduce yourself" thread, & once you're there, tell the story, like you started to in this thread.

Normally @Jason would step in to help you, but he's busy watching the Grand Finals, & probably had a few. :giggle:

Hope this helps.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @DIYgirl. I've moved your posts to our welcome discussion. Feel free to reply and tell us a bit more about yourself. And please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason, nice work mate.

GO YOU DOGGIES.

@Easty

Hi Peter,

The orchid was a cymbidium I think, it was from bunnings but I didn't initially buy it. It was my brothers and he was moving house and simply going to leave it there having not tended to it for some time, so I berated him as a sister can do and said I would take it home and nurture it!!! Might have had a better chance being left at the house ha-ha

Getting back to the story, it was one of those orchids that bunnings gets in every year, often in colourful ceramic pots like pink, red or white and the orchids are in full bloom. There are planted in another see through plastic pot with a drain hole so it's easy to lift it out, water, drain and replace.

Anyway, when I got my brother's plant, it had two good large green leaves and a couple of new ones on the way but slowly one died then the other then it had no leaves but I could see the root system looked healthy through the plastic pot but eventually it succomed.

I probably watered it when it didn't need it and vice versa then moved it around but always had it indoors then eventually put it outside but probably did everything wrong.

As I said earlier, I have in fact killed cacti by not watering for fear of watering too much!! I have at present, killed the leaves on my zanzibar gem but the bulbs still feel firm, so leaving it alone completely. Also killed the leaves but in this case I think the roots as well on my variegated alocassia but have a standard alocassia thriving. Amazingly I have a fig still ok, I am very mindful that it cost me $130 and I didn't want to over water it so don't do it for several weeks and it seems to be happy with that!!

I have even taken to using a moisture meter and watering only when it says "dry" and I think I'm doing better with that rather than guessing, as I have a selection of very different plants that currently live in the pool room of our new build and are all sitting infront of the two windows in that room but once the plaster, lighting etc... is  complete, the plants will be moved into two corners of the room that will have dedicated lighting as these corners will be dark.

I've attached a pic of the boston fern that is doing real well and now has string of beads succulant underplanted and cascading down the pot, must take an update picBoston Fern.JPG

Internal view of Pool #2.JPG

Above is a pic of the pool room that will house my potted selection in the right hand corner that the broom is pointing to and the other corner is at the other long end on the same side past the ladder. So as I mentioned, the plants are currently living in front of the two windows in this room to recieve adequate light.

Anyway, thanks for your comments and I look forward to your help with my bonsai when I'm settled!!

Lots of building to go but since this photo, we now have the house up to lockup.

Cheers,

Barbara

kinda
Finding My Feet

Hi, I am Kinda

I am Landscape Architecture by practice. My husband and I moved to a new house in March. I was always busy behind the desk, but now since I have the time, I can't wait to do all the modifying projects myself. 

My main DIY projects now are in the garden. I just finished my veggie garden and it looks amazing. We started to eat from our crops :smile: 

We did terrace the gully and I am focusing now on creating natural-looking stairs in the gully part of our garden. It is a little bit challenging and I think this will be my main project for the coming month or so.

I love gardening and architecture and I am hoping to meet like-minded people who like to do things their way and to learn from their experience and to share my experience.

So glad to find such community.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Paul1
Finding My Feet

Hi all,

I'm Paul and have an entire house and garden to slowly renovate over the coming years. My focus for now is getting drainage, retaining walls, landscaping and native regeneration in place before tackling the inside.

I'm a major fan of gabion walls, as I'm able to recycle all the rock and building debris I'm excavating.

Take care, Paul
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for introducing yourself @kinda. It's wonderful to have you join us. I'm sure you will find that there are many like-minded people here in the Workshop community. And you'll find plenty of great ideas, information and inspiration.

It sounds like you have brilliant experience and knowledge that you can share with other community members. For starters, it would be great if you could start a new discussion with some photos of your vegetable garden. I know a lot of community members are contemplating growing their own veggies now that the weather is getting warmer. 

A very warm welcome to Workshop. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects