Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Leakage from upstairs verandah doorways & windows into downstairs areas

West-Newman
Getting Established

Leakage from upstairs verandah doorways & windows into downstairs areas

Are there any tricks I should know to fixing these leaking areas with silicone sealant? What are the pitfalls to be aware of?

Any useful, practical suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

55F4C02E-EF1D-4D6D-BCD5-A21077D00DD2.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Leakage from upstairs verandah doorways & windows into downstairs areas

Hello @West-Newman

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fixing a leak in your downstairs area.

Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant is a good example of an all around sealant. But it has a limit on how big a gap it can securely fill. It's important to assess the location and arrangement of the gap you're trying to fill.

A few things to keep in mind when filling a gap:

• Make sure that the gap is clean and free of dirt and debris.

• Don't fill it in when the area is wet unless it's an emergency.

• The area is not structurally damaged.

• There is the possibility that if you close the gap, water may pool in another part of the area causing more problems. 

• Make sure that the rain water has a way out.

Another important thing to consider is if the gap is too big, I recommend using Fielders 2.4m 100mm Zinc Angle in combination with Selleys 310g Roof And Gutter Silicone Sealant - Translucent. When sealing gaps just keep in mind where the water will exit out. It's important that the water not get trapped in the area that you are sealing.

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds, @ProjectPete, and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects