Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Merbau timber feature wall

Mishmash
Building a Reputation

Merbau timber feature wall

Here is a feature wall we completed using mdf back boards, that were painted in domino. We then used merbau wood create the finish. We screwed the planks from the back of the boards so they are hidden from view! 

60019073-8E1C-4B76-B451-3A434E9AC952.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Feature Wall

Hello @Mishmash

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing feature wall. This particular feature is so popular these days, how many Merbau pieces did you end up using for this design? Did you have to oil the panels again or did you just attach them as is? I know it's a lot of questions, but any extra information you can share about your feature wall project will be much appreciated.

Again, thanks for sharing your feature wall project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mishmash
Building a Reputation

Thank you for the questions! We used two mdf boards that were 150cm x 240cm x 12mm. We used 34 pieces of merbau and spaced them 28mm apart! We did not have to oil the merbau, but did leave them in the house for two weeks to acclimatise prior to fitting them. We had heard they could run, but we didn’t get any of this and think it may be more relevant if used outside!

Hope this helps everyone

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work @Mishmash,

I see on your member profile page that you have been inspired by other Bunnings Workshop community members such as @craftyhopper and @Monika1. Now I'm sure your fantastic work will inspire many others. That is what is so wonderful about this community. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jason

WayneM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Merbau timber feature wall

Lovely work @Mishmash.

Thank you for sharing, and well done.

Your feature wall has attracted a great deal of interest and we are interested in turning your project into a Featured Project article. Do you have any more pictures you could share?

It would also be great if you could share any other tips or lessons learned during your project that would assist others planning similar projects.

Many thanks,

Wayne

Mishmash
Building a Reputation

Thanks Wayne

i am going to do another wall like this in our bathroom in the next few weeks. I will take detailed pics to enable others to complete the same/similar project

WayneM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi again @Mishmash,

Thank you for your quick response. 

We're looking forward to seeing how your bathroom wall turns out and keen to see the detailed pictures, too.

Good luck!

Many thanks

Wayne.

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

Thanks for the inspo @Mish I would love to do something similar in our house. Am looking forward to your step by step of next wall.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects