Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Most useful tool for a starting DIYer?

rhymesayer033
Finding My Feet

Most useful tool for a starting DIYer?

Which one is the most useful DIY cutting tool: Circular Saw, Jigsaw or Multitool?

IMG_20200614_223445.jpg

shopping.jpeg

IMG_20200614_223556.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Most Useful Tool for a Starting DIYer

Hi @rhymesayer033. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to kick-off the discussion.

The most useful DIY cutting tool will be the one suited to your project requirements. It will get the job done quickly, safely and will have features and benefits relevant to your application. In saying that, all three of the tools you have pictured have their own benefits and weaknesses depending on the job at hand. What type of project do you have in mind to complete next?

Circular saws make short work of long relatively straight cuts. It is great for cutting timber of varying thickness to length or slicing their width down to size. It is a versatile tool and a general workhorse in any D.I.Y. kit.

Jigsaws are extremely proficient at cutting curves, complex shapes and detailed cutting. Jigsaws are not good for making fast, long, straight cuts as the blades generally have fine teeth.

Multitools are versatile in nature being able to complete several jobs with one tool. They are ideal for doing plunge cuts into timber, trimming timber in tight spaces, cutting pipes and screws to length, cutting into gyprock and detailed sanding.

Let me mention a couple of our knowledgable community members @Brad and @ProjectPete to see if they would like to contribute to the discussion.

If you can let us know what type of projects you plan on completing then I'm sure our helpful members will have some great advice on tool selection.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @rhymesayer033, @MitchellMc has covered it pretty well tbh. They all have their purpose and all perform well for what they're designed to do.

What sorts of DIY are you planning to start with and build up to?

Ryobi is a solid brand to go with for DIY. The brand is something you should decide on now so you stick with that battery system.

Whichever way you go, spend that little bit extra each time on the brushless models - better performance and longevity.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have found a multi-tool will do most things, not always the best choice but it covers so much.

+1 to brushless models.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

What kind of projects are you planning to tackle @rhymesayer033

Mostly general stuffs like building some benches or tables from timber scraps or extra cabinet panels. Nothing major. Plus, I live in an apartment so mostly doing these DIY Projects at the balcony where neighbors can hear the noise from my power tools so I'm keeping it low.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Most useful tool for a starting DIYer?

Visitors to this popular discussion might find the following resource helpful - Essential power tools for D.I.Y. beginners and beyond

Please let us know if you need a hand with tool recommendations for your project. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pstq
Having an Impact

Re: Most useful tool for a starting DIYer?

I use my circular saw more than my jigsaw, but it depends what you're doing.

I use hand saws a lot. The ones with hardened teeth are viciously sharp, and they're cheap. It's often quicker to use that than to plug in a saw and put on ear muffs. Maybe I'd change my mind if I owned a rechargeable saw. If you get one, make sure the teeth have enough set on them that it doesn't jam in the cut. I've got one that does that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects