Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New build house white set plaster wall cracks after using Dulux oil base sealer

wide5
Finding My Feet

New build house white set plaster wall cracks after using Dulux oil base sealer

Hi Everyone

My new build house white set plaster wall showing cracks everywhere after using dulux oil base sealer( my builder recommend). Do anyone have the same issue ? is this normal for new plaster wall or it's a quality issue of my plaster wall ? looking for help.I am very frustrated after seeing that. I am  appreciate for everyone's reply.Many ThanksIMG_0400.JPGIMG_0407.JPGIMG_0399.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New build house white set plaster wall cracks after using Dulux oil base sealer

Hello @wide5

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your plaster wall cracking.

If your plaster coat is brand new, one of the main reasons it would crack is because of heat. If the plaster was exposed to extreme heat or the heater inside the house was turned on for too long while the plaster was still fresh, this will cause shrinkage. When the plaster shrinks it starts to compress and the cracks start to appear. 

Using the Dulux oil-based sealer is suppose to hide the cracks, but if they are too big and deep the paint primer will not be able to cover them. Because the plaster is new, it is still under warranty, I suggest calling your plasterer and having them repair the cracks. 

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: New build house white set plaster wall cracks after using Dulux oil base sealer

Hi @wide5  

i found this site on line that might help with your cracking situation, I agree with @EricL , contact your builder, it should be under warranty.

see link below

https://www.houspect.com.au/wa/white-set-render-walls-wa/

Thanks JoeAzza. it's very helpful. I will contact my builder immediately.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @wide5,

I noticed that you had this issue after using the Dulux oil base sealer. Please let us know what your builder says, and if it appears to be an issue with the sealer, I'd be happy to troubleshoot the issue further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects