Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New paint smell

Juliapinkiepie
Building a Reputation

New paint smell

Yesterday, after making a 'tree change' I moved into a new house that has just been freshly planted.
Due to no fly screens I had to sleep with the windows shut. The new paint smell was horrible. Is there anything that helps to remove the smell quickly. It's also currently raining so opening the bedroom windows isn't an option today

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: New paint smell

If oil-based paint has been used (for example gloss on door frames and architraves) then you have my sympathies. It can take a long time to dissapate. Really the best way is to have doors and windows open for as long as possible. Anything else is just trying to mask the smell. Hope it doesn't take too long for you @Juliapinkiepie.

Thanks @Isobel,

I kind of feared that was the case :unhappy:
Will having the ceiling fan on make any difference as last night I had it on to circulate the air (who doesn't install fly screens in mozzie country lol?!?)
Jackson
Making a Splash

I remember my Mum filling bowls with white vinegar and leaving them around the house to get rid of that new paint smell. A quick Google of this method tells me she wasn't completely insane as there are a few resources stating that it's an effective way to absorb the smell. It might be worth a try.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Juliapinkiepie, I'm with @Jackson on the white vinegar, other things you could try are sprinkling Baking Soda on carpets, or put a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice on a cloth, & drape it in front of a fan.

To ease your pain, think of me in my youth, when I was on a country trip, & staying in a town that was amidst a major mouse plague. The stench was inescapable, even dousing my arms & pillow with after shave didn't mask it. Give me week of having my nostrils drip fed with oil-based paint any day. :wink:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is the smell now @Juliapinkiepie? I hope you are coping OK.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects