Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

OIl-based or water-based paint for a wooden window sill?

Klutz
Finding My Feet

OIl-based or water-based paint for a wooden window sill?

Paint.pngHello,

Would anyone be able to tell me what paint (oil-based or water-based) I need for a wooden window sill?

How much paint do I need for ~ 1.4m x ~.35mm?

What primer would I need?

Can i use the same paint for skirting boards and architraves?

Can I use the same paint for metal windows?

I am totally new to DYI and I will really appreciate any help! :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: OIl-based or water-based paint for a wooden window sill?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Klutz. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I would advise using a water-based enamel product to coat your window sill, skirting boards and architraves. Water-based enamel products have advanced substantially over the last 10 years and now exhibit the same robust qualities as oil-based alternatives yet don't yellow and are easier to clean up.

For the timber window sill, I would suggest using Dulux 1 Step Prep prior to applying your topcoat of Aquanamel

One litre of paint will cover eight square meters with two coats. Your window sill will only require a small amount of paint.

Aquanamel is perfect for use on skirting boards and architraves as it is hardwearing. If the skirting boards and architraves have a glossy finish then I would advise sanding the gloss finish off and applying the Dulux 1 Step Prep before your final topcoat. Here's a helpful step-by-step video on How to paint trims which I trust you'll find useful.

For bare metal windows, I would encourage you to use Dulux Metalshield 500ml Grey All Surface Primer as it is specifically designed to adhere to metal. Aquanamel can then be applied to the metal windows. An alternative method would be to use spray cans and here a step-by-step DIY video on How to spraypaint window frames.

There's also an article by community member @Peggers on How to paint like a professional which would be worth taking a look at as well.

Please let me know if you need further information or if you had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Klutz
Finding My Feet

Many thanks Mitchell, that's terrific.

I was just wondering whether you can suggest other primers and paint as the Dulux is no doubt of excellent quality but also quite expensive, especially given the minor job this is. 

Also, would you be able to suggest a type of sandpaper I should use for the metal windows?

Many thanks in advance.

Klutz

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Klutz,

You could certainly go for the cheaper British paints water-based enamel. In that case, I would recommend their Prep 4 In 1 Water Based Primer Sealer Undercoat. The Dulux Metalshield 500ml Grey All Surface Primer is still the best choice for bare metal and there is nothing I am aware of in the British range that would be comparable. It's always a good idea to ask our experts in-store though if there are other options available.

What did you need the sandpaper for on the metal windows? Is there damaged paint that needs removing or is it a shiny surface? In either case, a 120 grit sandpaper would most likely do the job.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you very much! I really appreciate and value your advice. 😃

Best,

Klutz

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects