Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paint effects on cheapo budget cupboard

strawdinaryfem
Finding My Feet

Paint effects on cheapo budget cupboard

I'm actually painting a large cheapo budget cupboard in Steampunk style. This will take a few different layers of paint in different colours. I basically know how to get the effect of old leather, but, do I sand it first? Do I use oil or water based paint for the base colour? Any suggestions would be gratefully received :smile: Cheers S

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Paint effects on cheapo budget cupboard

Welcome to the Workshop community @strawdinaryfem. Great to have you join us. I'm sure you'll find plenty of information and inspiration on the site.

I moved your post to the interiors board so it can be more easily found by other community members, particularly our painting experts like @Simon. It sounds like a great project and I'm sure there will be other Workshop members who can give you some tips.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Powerpuff25
Getting Established

If the cupboard has a gloss paint or vanish on it, you will have to sand. Sanding allows the paint to stick to the surface. I would give it a sand regardless. Good luck, it should look fab when you're finished.

Hey @strawdinaryfem
If I were you I would use water based paint once you have sanded the surface. It should be a little cheaper to buy the paint, and much easier to use (drying time, smell, etc).
Have fun!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects