Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paint suggestions for galvanized pipe

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Paint suggestions for galvanized pipe

Good morning Community.

As a little project I'm wanting to do is some industrial looking peices of furniture.

I'm looking at using the galvanized pipe from Bunnings.

Once constructed I would like to spray paint the pipe and I want something very durable.

I would love some suggestions

Thank you

Kind regards Rob 👍Screenshot_20190808-031323.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Paint Suggestions for Galvanized Pipe

@gippslandhome,

Let me tag @leon3758 for you as he's shared some amazing industrial-look pipe creations - a desk and some tables.

Also @royq might be able to offer assistance as his steampunk shelves also use gal pipes. 

@Simon and @tony-treehouse might also be able to provide helpful advice given their painting expertise.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Jason  thank you very much for sharing your contacts.

I look forward to hearing from them.

Kind regards Rob 👍

@gippslandhome, you want to lightly sand it with 120 grit paper and wipe it clean then make sure you use an etch primer because ordinary paint will have a hard time sticking to galvanised steel. The actual paint you choose to put over the primer doesn't matter too much but generally you get what you pay for with spray paint so the more expensive cans are going to be better. I have found white knight rust guard brand to be decent quality. All the best with the project.

Thanks so much @royq and to @Jason  for helping us meet like this in the community.

I really appreciate the advice and can see the steps clearly. Am looking forward tgiving it a go👍

I'll put some progressive pictures up on the community of my projects.

Thank you very much again to take the time to share some of your knowledge.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Scott74
Finding My Feet

clean / wipe down with a damp rag in methlated spirit.

once dry and clean of any oil/grease foreign matter apply one coat of galvonised iron primer to achieve adhesion.

lightly sand using fine wet/dry abrasive paper

Apply 3 to 4 even coats of a premium enamel spray pack to build up the microns and achieve a hard durable surface tolerant surface

Thank you so much @Scott74 . That is great information. I'm going in to Bunnings Thursday and will start work on some projects.

Been a great help mate

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you sharing your knowledge and experience with other Workshop members @Scott74. Great to have you as part of the community. Welcome aboard!

We're looking forward to reading more of your posts, whether it's assisting others, sharing projects and plans, or asking for a hand from the community. 

And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

These type of things, I always brush on Easy Surface Prep first, these days... especially when there's lots of joins giving texture. I find that ESP gives you a finish that won't chip or flake later. Wish I'd known about it years ago. And yes - get the best paint you can...

Thanks @Former Workshop member for mentioning that. I will give it a try. Everything has been working out great but I would like to try it on my next project

👍 Kind regards Rob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects