Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting a 1970s Cathedral ceiling

SteveH
Getting Established

Painting a 1970s Cathedral ceiling

IMGP0002.JPGIMGP0003.JPG

This is our kitchen and lounge roof.   House was built in the 1970's.   We are thinking of painting it white, but my concern is I think the board may crumble apart as I do it.

Does anybody know what this product is (I thought straw board) and any suggestions on painting it.

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Re: Painting a 1970s Cathedral ceiling

@SteveH

It is definately strawboard or boxboard and you can certainly paint it.  I found this link which should give you an idea. 

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwiSgpLjrZfNAhXJsJQKHejY...

davehutchy
Cultivating a Following

My first impression is that it wouldn't be easy to paint and I'm not sure you'd get a great result.

Plasterboard is cheap so I'd be strongly considering replacing the ceiling with plasterboard or if you don't like the timber (and don't mind lower ceilings) just plasterboard over the batterns.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I would think it would be difficult to paint because of the texture. It also looks like it would absorb a lot of paint. 

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Have you tried painting the ceiling yet @SteveH?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@SteveH, sorry for not seeing your post until now, but spray painting it should be fine. You could experiment with an aerosol primer, & top coat for a test run to see if you get the look that you're after.

I'd suggest light coats so that you maintain an even, textured look, which to my eyes would look very classy.

If you like it, either hire some spray equipment, or get an airless spray gun. It doesn't have to be expensive, but make sure it has a flexible suction tube in the paint bottle, so that it won't splutter when angled toward the ceiling.

And thanks @Isobel, for caring & bringing Steve's post up.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects