Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting a benchtop/desk

AlsoCass
Growing in Experience

Painting a benchtop/desk

Looking at options for a cabinet benchtop/desk for a study (basing our design on the photo below).

I want both the benchtop and desktop to be painted to match, but am unsure of how to do it (worried that it might wear).

We were going to use Specrite panels (or something similar), can we just prime and paint them with a high gloss? (I am asking the questions because my husband hates typing).

https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-2200-x-600-x-26mm-merbau-panel_p8330163

Thanks,

Cassie

Inspiration photoInspiration photo

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting a benchtop/desk

Hello @AlsoCass,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about painting a benchtop.

Painting the panels to this particular shade should be straightforward. Some panels that already have a finish on them will need to be sanded down to remove them. Using a primer is definitely recommended and at least two coats of the actual paint so that you get a uniform finish all over. 

There is a wide variety of Specrite panels but the ones inside the store are for interior use only. Here is a step-by-step on How To Paint Over Varnished Timber - D.I.Y. At Bunnings. The steps mentioned in the guide will be the same for your Specrite panels with an existing finish on them.

Let me tag @DanaR  as she has recently done an amazing paint job on her upcycled coffee table, she might have some handy advice for your project.

If you need more information please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DanaR
Having an Impact

Wow, Thank you @EricL for your nice words ! @AlsoCass Hello! I am still a newbie but with everything I've learned so far it's best to prime, paint (or stain) and then let it completely dry for like 24 hours. Then you can seal and protect the paint with a polyurethane 'top coat'. I use a spray-on gloss polyurethane because I love the gloss finish But you an get different  gloss level top coats in both can spray or in a tin. The polyurethane  is clear and will seal in the colour and give a durable surface - like someone putting coffee cups on a coffee table and is the best if the painted piece is going to be used every day/regularly. 

I've found that if you're top coating something white, it's best to use a water based sealer as it doesn't yellow as much. I was so confused my first time as Bunnings has a LOT of products and it's overwhelming being faced with choices like oil based/water based/poly/primer/paint/finish and that's before you get to the actual paint colours! 

You really just need a primer (you can choose spray can or tin) Paint, and a top coat/sealer (also spray can or tin). If using the product out of the tin, you need a paint brush/roller X 2 and a brush/roller for the top coat. Bunnings staff are also amazing at giving advice -  and are very patient with us newbies!

I hope this helps. I've found the hardest part was just starting! That first lick of paint is scary! Good Luck!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DanaR,

Thank you so much for that detailed recommendation. I know what it's like to get the renovation bug! Every piece of furniture is now subject to a possible upcycle process. If I had more space my house would be full of timber furniture.

Again thank you so much for sharing your experience with your painting project, I look forward to seeing the next piece that you makeover. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AlsoCass
Growing in Experience

Thank you everyone. That clears things up a lot. I will let you know how I get on.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects