Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plumbed gas fittings in your home

dannyrus
Building a Reputation

Plumbed gas fittings in your home

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a home with gas (never had it before!) so am a complete gas newbie. The house came with gas fittings and an indoor gas heater already attached - I have a 2-part question:

1) The gas heater doesn't need to be attached during summer, is it easy/safe to disconnect it? If so, how?

2) I want to get a BBQ for outside and there is a fitting on the wall ready to go - I know I need a particular type of BBQ/attachment fitting, is it something I can connect myself?

Thanks!

bbq.jpgheater.jpg

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Plumbed gas fittings in your home

You need to convert your barbecue from LPG to natural gas @dannyrus. You need a kit from your barbie's manufacturer. Or if you were planning to get a new one, just make sure it's a natural gas model. Once you have the right kit you can certainly just plug it in yourself....

My bayonet fitting on my barbecue has a self shut-off so I assume yours will both be the same but it's probably best to check with a plumber about your indoor heater.  

dannyrus
Building a Reputation

@MartyH thanks a lot for that - yep I'm looking at a natural gas BBQ so all good there. Will get the both attachments checked by a plumber, appreciate that suggestion.

Thanks, Danny.
dannyrus
Building a Reputation

Howdy again, just after some guidance - so I've got my BBQ (Weber Q Natural Gas) which has all the fittings to connect straight into the fitting on my wall. The previous owner had a BBQ connected, so based on that we know it works...

I've been looking at how to install, and on the Weber box it recommends to have it installed by a licensed plumber - is that really needed? I've seen there are steps required to ensuring the pressure is set correctly and there are no gas leaks - is this something I can do, or do I legally need to have it done by a plumber? I've had quotes of between $200-$300 to install.

Thanks for any insight into this!

Cheers, Danny.

Mate, all the plumber will do is plug it in. You can test for leaks using a bit of dishwashing liquid - https://esv.vic.gov.au/campaigns/barbecue-safety/

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects