Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Poll: What heating does your house have?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poll: What heating does your house have?

It's been a freezing cold week in many parts of Australia, and I'm sure many shivering Workshop community members have been thinking about how to keep warm at home. 

The latest Workshop poll asks what heating do you have installed at your house. If you have multiple systems, please just choose your primary source of warmth. The poll can be found on the front page underneath the Join the discussion icons.

I would also encourage community members to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of various heating systems by replying to the conversation below. 

Stay warm!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Poll: What heating does your house have?

@Andy_Mann,

No need to apologise for the thoughts you have shared with me, I really do appreciate all the help I've been getting from everyone.

I must explain my comment about the cost of our power further, as I think I have you mistakenly thinking that it's an energy company cost. Some of the $15,000, about a third is internal connections, lights etc... the remaining $10,000 or so, is in fact the expected cost of the cabling that our electrician is to supply and carry some 80mts from an existing meter on the property to the new home. Underground power cable is sooo sooo expensive due to the copper content as you probably know, so that is where the cost is being chewed up!!

As for actual connection, we already have power on the property in 3 locations no less, it's getting it to the new home that's the issue, so to actually flick the switch to "power on" will be nothing, just the sparky has to wire the cable to the board. We have to use either a trencher or an excavator and that too is an extra cost.

We don't have town water, probably never will but we already have a 45,000ltr concrete tank at the house full and currently overflowing and plan to have a second tank further down the track. We also have two 4,000 ltr tanks on our large workshed and that is pumped up to the cottage for now but can be diverted to the new house with the flick of a lever if we need it but it's doubtful.

As for going off the grid, as I already mentioned, I'm looking forward to the day that we can afford to give it a go and fortunately our sparky is right into solar, so we know he will be very helpful to steer us in the right direction when the time comes

Sorry for the confusion but again thankyou for all your help.

Cheers,

Barbara

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Baretta11 @Andy_Mann

Having a Google Monier Solartile is around $7500 per KW not close to competative price.

Offgrid for a largish budget system is around $2000 per KW. I think the average user will run out of roof space before they reach utopia. Adding wind power could help but it may not be neighbour friendly just like the backup generator. Cooking with gas is almost a must.

Tractile if I wass building or replacing a roof would get a much deeper look.

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

Hi Brad,

Until you mentioned these products, I had no idea they were out there.

We don't have a tiled roof anyway as I mentioned earlier.

Our shed is 40mtrs long x 20mtrs wide, so we will be well and truly fortunate to have plenty of room for sufficient solar panels when the time comes, albeit the panels will have to sit on an upright frame to get the northerly aspect properly, as the long side of the shed is north/south.

For that matter our house is 12.5 mtrs wide x 22.5mtrs long, so the house has a great amount of area and facing north too, if we choose to use this roof rather than the shed but personally I'd prefer to fill the shed roof with panels rather than the house roof!!

I have already told the story about a well to do local chap who decided to go off the grid and actually put up a wind turbine with back up batteries and he also installed solar panels and guess what, he's back on the grid, because sometimes there's insufficient wind and other times, insufficient sun!!

I don't think going off the grid COMPLETELY, can work in colder climates like where we live but we can use whats available when it's available and for us that would naturally be in summer!

Out of interest Brad, how many KW if you know, is suggested for a family of four say?

Look forward to your reply.

Cheers,

Barbara

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Average daily use in NSW for 4 people is 25kwh and 32kwh for 5, no mention if gas is used or not, I would think the number would be higher if you don't use gas.

There are calculators out there that would give a closer result.

My house faces south with an l shaped roof on the north side. Solar water heater takes up part of the north roof so panels were installed on the straight western roof.

The back shed with 4.8m of north facing roof had a quote of $30000 to cover it's off grid needs only I ran out of roof for panels. I have enough roof for a sloar/wind option option shopping around I could of done it for 10k in parts.

Old car shed would have enough east roof to add to the house grid feed in system, western roof has shade from next door tree.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see this topic stimulate plenty of interesting and helpful discussion amongst the Workshop community.

Here's the results of the poll:

HeatingPoll.png

Many thanks for joining in the discussion.

Jason

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Baretta11

I'm finding it very difficult to work out a strategy that fits your plans & cash flow, so let's see if we can nut something out which will smooth out your journey to comfortable living.

All us Workshoppers know that you & hubby deserve it. ; )

The biggest issue for you both is the unpredictability of income, not that you're alone on that, I know a few people who've gone from having top tier jobs, to being unemployed at the whim of a fiscal board meeting. : (

The brutal reality is that aesthetic pleasantries (expensive or otherwise), need to be put on hold so that what's absolutely necessary (expensive or otherwise) get priority. Point blank, would you prefer an uber expensive underground electrical supply, over a temporary overhead install, with the savings allocated to long term savings or comfort?

Then there's the conundrum of whether to go solar first with inefficient heating/cooling, or opt for a highly efficient heating/cooling system that'll be a long-term solution/investment. When funds permit, install your solar system ahead of the underground electrical supply, again putting savings/comfort ahead of aesthetics.

I head-banged my desk when it dawned on me that with your cathedral ceilings, my push for ducting (overhead) would be ugly, unless you were into the industrial look. The saving grace could be that you have space under-floor for the ducting & floor vents, or did I mess up? Some ceiling fans could circulate the warmth back to ground level, or use a fan assisted heat transfer duct system for that purpose.

Unless the dream kitchen takes ultimate priority, I have a few suggestions, though the qualifier is that I'm a bloke, so I have a vastly different interpretation on what should rule. No argument from me if you push the ignore button, but could the final fix be delayed by compromising with a temporary but workable kitchen, freeing up funds for, let's say, solar?

Another thing that I've struggled with is that in another thread, you asked for tips regarding a damper for your whirlybird vent in your cathedral ceiling. I did find something suitable, though it's not available in Australia, so you've saved money there. ; ) Then it dawned on me that those ventilators are for extracting heat from ceiling spaces, not from rooms, so the easiest solution could be to leave it there, but block the cavity.

That's it from me for now. ; )

Don't hate me.

@Andy_Mann,

Hi John,

I'm positively gobsmacked that you have put so much time and effort into thinking things through as to how I might benefit from your suggestions, I think that is very sweet and I'm humbled by it!!

I'm not a hater, never have been, I ALWAYS see the positive in everything so much so, it annoyed my mother no end and she often said I seemed to have an answer for everything, ha-ha

My mum was very negative, I understood why, having lived through the war being Polish and she did not come out the other side unscathed.

One story that comes to mind was when we were travelling through Geelong on our way to a Xmas do in Melb. There was this "hoon" ute with a paragraph of profanities on it, my mother asked what it read, to which I replied that she didn't need to know!!

Well next thing I got growled at and told she was no ones fool and demanded to know what was written on the ute, so I told her, which made her gasp!! I then proceeded to tell her that my son, her grandson, had such a ute and the profanities to boot and he turned out to be a good young man and I further commented that these young boys will no doubt turn out just as good as her grandson did!

Well she was so annoyed with me making positive excuses about these young boys that she told me I needed to go to Russia and live there for a while and see just how horrible life really can be!!

Well I just laughed and laughed, not then but later and said to hubby that I wasn't even allowed to go to Poland where my relatives would be but instead had to go to Russia where I knew no one, nor could I speak the language!! ha-ha

Poor mum, she was so affected by the war that sometimes no one was allowed to be happy!!

So I have strived to be as positive as my mother was negative, hence, hate simply isn't there!!

Anyway, hope you don't mind I digressed somewhat!!

So to try to respond to your thoughts:

Power: Hopefully it will not be too expensive, as I mentioned, we may be able to use a second hand but in perfect order, underground cable that may in fact see us pay next to nothing for it being a very close family friend who has this cable and his son, our sparky that will install it, so certainly cheaper than solar but my issue is having a hubby that hates solar, he thinks it's a big sham about just how much it costs and then just how long the panels will actually last, so it will always be underground first if hubby has his way and possibly never having solar, although I will push for it now and again!!

Cathedral Ceiling:

Is in the pool area only where the roof vents are fitted and I agree that perhaps simply blocking them off could be the easiest option but having contacted the makers of the vents, Edmonds, they have in fact offered one solution for now and that's with a Paltech Round Downjet Diffuser that is fitted into the internal ceiling and together with a cowling attached to the vent. The only downside is that although the diffuser can be closed or open, it is done by a central knob on the diffuser itself and that means trying to reach it above the pool but it's a start. My electrician suggested that fitting a damper with a wall mounted electric control would not be difficult at all but I never discussed it with him any further, so he could in fact have a very easy fix.

Truth is, I really think we will want to have these vents open during summer when the solar for the pool will at times overheat the pool and letting some heat escape through the vents will be handy.

I better explain the solar we're having for the pool too, we will be a roll of poly pipe to a ground built roof and pumped to the pool rather than fitting this pipe on the main house roof, so that we can maintain it without having to climb on the roof of the home and also if it was to leak, we wouldn't want chlorinated or even sanitized water to be able to enter the drinking water.

Heating/cooling:

We have heaps of room in the roof space, with a home 12.5mtrs wide and a 22.5* roof, if not for thecross members in the trusses, we could have a second story ha-ha

We would choose the roof over under floor ducting, as although we do have room under the home too, we are both very **bleep** about any access points for mice having spent allot of time fitting rodent mesh over the air gap between the bricks and the sub floor effectively preventing any rodent access up into the wall cavaties and subsequently into the roof cavity.

All our electrical and plumbing is in the roof with no wiring under the home and only a single access point for the water where it first enters the home.

Kitchen:

I absolutely agree that although the ultimate, you beaut, perfect kitchen will cost us in excess of $25,000, I have no hesitation to live without any of the modcons until such time as we have saved up enough to get it done, but in th meantime, I have a fantastic BBQ and it can sit beside the sink with the toaster on one side and we can be quite set. Cuttlery and crockery can sit in stowaway containers!!

We are very fortunate to have a little relocatable home that is only 30mtrs from the main building which has everything we need, so we are not under any pressure as to a completion date. I think that's why we can remain happy and sane because we're not living in a tent or caravan, although we've done that for a few years too, so we can simply move in when we're happy to do so. We already have almost all our plumbing stuff, shower, basins, tiles etc... for the walls and all the floors, so getting the bsthrooms up and running is doeable to.

Our 1st batch of plaster arrived on Mon and I have been madly hanging it being able to cut and fit all the smaller lower sheets and then preparing all the upper sheets, glue etc... and then I pull hubby away from fitting the door jambs and he helps get the sheet up, puts a few screws in place and then I mark the studs and continue to screw the rest of the sheet to the wall and then off I go for the next measurement. We've managed to put up 6mtr sheets in places over doors and windows without a single fracture or break, so we're very happy with what we've achieved. We also have a plaster lifter for when we start the ceilings and we've used it already to put up eaves on the veranda and it works a treat!!

Been at it all day today and lost count as to how many sheets I actually put up but I thin it's about 14 or so, I'm thrilled!!

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions, lets see what you come up with next!!

Cheers,

Barbara

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Baretta11

Hi Barbara, you're a darling, your Mum could learn a lot from you, though I doubt that she'd give it a chance. My Mum was very sweet, but she did worry about me, she thought that I was too easy going, & could come to harm if mislead by others.

Fantastic news about the "next to nothing" underground cabling, I didn't know about that, so what I thought would be a huge expense, turns out to be a blessing. How good is that? : )

Hubby's off the hook for the moment with his dislike of solar, we can work on that later. ; )

I have absolute faith in your sparkie, & confident that the fix that he has in mind for your cathedral ceiling vent will be perfect. You may be right though about it possibly being an advantage to leave the whirlybird alone, as humidity could be a factor.

Your low roofed outbuilding for your pool heating is pure genius, for all the reasons that you mentioned.

Another win is that you have roof space (I was wrong on that) for ducting when you're ready to install your heating/cooling unit.

Having your temp home nearby is super handy for prep & cooking when the weather's fine, but on those miserable weather days, your interim new kitchen, though not fully decked out could still be a pleasure to use. I'm a huge fan of convection microwaves, & the new flatbed inverter models are very flexible & gentle on the food being cooked.

I must go to bed now, just reading what you've accomplished this week has floored me.

Thinking of you both, good night & pleasant dreams.

John

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our latest poll about heating asked Workshop members whether they would prefer a gas or wood-burning fireplace in their home.

It seems that despite the realistic nature of many gas-fuelled fireplaces these days, and the extra convenience that gas offers, most community members prefer a traditional wood fire. 

Many thanks to all community members who voted in the poll. Feel free to keep the discussion going by replying below.

Jason

FireplacePoll.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects