Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Poll: What heating does your house have?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poll: What heating does your house have?

It's been a freezing cold week in many parts of Australia, and I'm sure many shivering Workshop community members have been thinking about how to keep warm at home. 

The latest Workshop poll asks what heating do you have installed at your house. If you have multiple systems, please just choose your primary source of warmth. The poll can be found on the front page underneath the Join the discussion icons.

I would also encourage community members to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of various heating systems by replying to the conversation below. 

Stay warm!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Poll: What heating does your house have?

I posted a thread about this, but I got a bio ethanol fire-place this week to take the chill out of my lounge room as my reverse cycle is at the back of the house in the kitchen/dinning/bedroom area. If turn the reverse cycle on prior to lighting the "fire-place" and then turn it off, the heat is maintained :smile:

@Deanna,

So tell me more, please!!

What is the cost of bio ethanol fuel and how do you get it delivered and stored??

Cheers,

Barbara

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Baretta11 they're definitely able to be installed to existing households, & I'd imagine that they'd be more affordable than 10 years ago.

Fantastic that you have a good friend with a backhoe (I thought you did from your build thread), that'll be perfect.

It might also be worth searching to see if you qualify for a rebate for going green.

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Baretta11

I get my fuel from a local homewares shop it costs $80 for 20 litres.  You can have it delivered.  My fireplace burner holds 1.5L of fuel and burns for 4 hours on high.  

I'd love to see Bunnings carry some bio ethanol fuel, you can burn Metho if you had to...but I'm sure that would leave a bad smell in the house.  

There are pics of it here:
Bio-Ethanol-Fireplace

If you have anymore questions, just let me know  :smile:   

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Baretta11, if you're drawn to the mesmerising allure of an open flame, download a screensaver for your computer. ; )

@Andy_Mann,

Must look into screen savers more.

Last time I had my compouter guru here to do some checks for me, he installed a fish tank screen saver as he knew I loved fish.

Anyway, one day I left the sound on fairly loud and hubby and I searched everywhere for a few minutes to try to find the bubbling water sound until we realised it was just the screen saver ha-ha

@Deanna,

Quick calculation shows about $6 per day for four hours of heating, that doesn't sound too bad with your 20ltrs lasting almost 2 weeks and even during the colder months of late autumn and winter, not every day is freezing and you're probably not using the system for the full 4 hours every single day?

Best say good night to all, must get to the rain room as I have an early start in the morning milking a neighbours dairy cows.
Will continue with our discussions tomorrow.
Barbara
Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@Baretta11

It arrived and Tuesday and has been on every night, but I suspect it will get used less when my daughter goes back to school next week  LOL   

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Baretta11, apologies, when I saw your reply to @Brad, I only read part way through it, & didn't see the massive bills that you're to face. : (

So fair enough, the Geo's off the map.

I'm going to get this off my chest, & not bring it up again, but I hate that energy utilities now charge for connection, once upon a time, it was free, but those days are gone. That $15,000 that they're looking to rip you off for your electrical connection, would go a looooong way towards solar, & battery back up to go off-grid.

The bonus is that you have no cause to deal with them, ever again. : )

Seeing as you've been very sensible insulating walls & ceiling to such high levels, a cheapish portable heater may serve you well until you're cashed up for a more permanent heating/cooling system down the track.

If you have good rain catchment from your barn, maybe that could delay, or you may even be able to do without a water connection. That may be too risky, but with some serious number crunching of roof area & rainfall, it should show whether it's possible. Fingers crossed.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects