Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Project: Galvanised Pipe Desk

topper
Building a Reputation

Project: Galvanised Pipe Desk

G'day All,

To start off with, I am a complete Novice with this kind of stuff, so I am open to (hopefully friendly) feedback.

For this, I have taken inspiration from @ogosh (https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/Home-office-custom-furniture-build/td-p/20456)

One difference is, I added an extra horizontal bar near the top of the back. This will be used to hide/tidy cables some how.

Notes (assumptions) before:

• Size of the bench tops I've seen in Bunnings (approx 60cm x 180cm) [or 2.4m but I can cut down]
  • Size of frame will be ~ 42cm x 170cm, I hope this means the flanges can be screwed on without  going over the edge of the bench.

The Inspiration:

(@ogosh)

topper_1-1583721088662.png

My design:

(I had to do it in https://draw.io for my brain to wrap around it and how many pieces etc)

(Note: the extra bars)

Untitled Diagram.jpg

The Shopping List:

(for the frame only)

(I forgot to add the screw ends)

topper_0-1583720837271.png

The Size:

This should make it approximately:

Height: 10cm + 50cm + 10cm = 70cm + 2 T joins (~74cm) [Plus desktop ~4cm thick)

Width: 20cm + 20cm = 40cm + 1 T joins (~42cm)

Length: 40cm + 40cm + 40cm + 40cm = 160cm + 5 T joins (~170cm)

Growth?:

I'm thinking of adding a shelf on to the bench top, I would be able to connect a top and bottom (around the desk) flange and add a 10cm pipe, maybe a right angle and attach wood to that, some how.....

Requests/Questions:

Would be great to hear of some ideas/improvements.

Would 20mm be strong enough for computer use?

• This is based on the sizes of 20mm thick. I couldn't find all of the pieces available for 25mm thick (ie 100mm or flange)

ogosh
Having an Impact

Re: Project: Galvanised Pipe Desk

Looks great 20mm is plenty strong enough particularly given the shorter spans once tightened up it’s really quite rigid!

good stuff, look forward to seeing it in progress and finished

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice one @topper.

Great to see you have been inspired by @ogosh.

Let me also tag @Starkers_17 to see if he might have some input. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Just remember to use thick felt pad feet covers so you dont end up scratching your nice floor. Looks very nice and excellently laid out. The galv pipes have a load capacity of about 200kg ++ or two full grown adults. You should be fine with a couple of computers. Looking forward to final pic when you have the benchtop on. Cheers!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I like how you shared your shopping list @topper . It would be good if there was a way to download people's shopping lists for popular projects so its easy to replicate them. 

Looking forward to seeing the finished project. 

topper
Building a Reputation

G'day @Kermit 

That was my exact thinking. Hopefully if @Jason likes the idea we can see some kind of implementation of 'shareable' lists or even integration between users on this site, users on bunnings site and your own wishlist sharing?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @topper.

We can certainly see the value of being able to share wish lists with other community members. This is something we have on our radar once we have tighter integration between Workshop and the Bunnings site, which will include a single sign on (single identity). 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
topper
Building a Reputation

Updated design:

topper_0-1584418925720.png

Going to try and order it, hopefully comes this week. Would be great to work from home with it.

ogosh
Having an Impact

I used the same design but with 4 uprights to support a full 2200mm table top.

But you seem to have 3 x L shaped extensions along the back... are they extensions for an above desk shelf/platform?

I really like that ideas as a monitor stand to get it to the right height as well as to free up some space on the table top ... clever!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects