Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing old wallpaper

presumed_living
Finding My Feet

Removing old wallpaper

Hi. I’ve been trying to remove old wallpaper in my bedroom for the last 5 years. I’ve tried steaming, goo off, fabric softener, wallpaper removal products...just about every ‘hack’ I can find. The paper will not budge. It seems it was put straight onto the plasterboard without an undercoat first. Am I ever going to be able to get it off or will I have to re-plaster the whole room?

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing old wallpaper

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @presumed_living. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's a bit hard to tell from your images but does the wallpaper have a vinyl back or is it just paper? If it is paper, which is well adhered to the wall, I would advise painting over it. You might like to first give the wall a sanding to blend in where it has already peeled. Apply two coats of good quality sealer binder undercoat and then two coats of a topcoat. You could do this in a test section to see if you are happy with the results before committing to the full wall.

The only reason why you would need to remove the wallpaper is if it is not well adhered and likely to peel away later or there is a surface height difference/damage that an undercoat won't cover.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks. I’m trying my best to remove it all but some of it just won’t budge. I’ll keep persevering and get rid of as much as I can and then try your tip.  

image.jpg

@presumed_living,

One of the most likely reasons for the wallpaper glue not dissolving from water is that the water is not able to penetrate through the paper coating. Have you tried a tool which punctures holes in the wallpaper to allow the water through? I'd recommend using a Rust-oleum Paper tiger Wallpaper Removal Scoring Tool followed up by applying Rust-oleum 650ml DIF Concentrate Wallpaper Stripper and using a specific wallpaper scraper like the Rust-oleum Wallpaper Paper Scraper.

I would advise using these three products in combination. If you are already using one of them, try with the others as well.

Mitchell

Tried all of that. Have all the tools. It’s just very stuck to the wall. Not even steaming would get it off...it did however take parts of the wall off. 

@presumed_living,

I'd recommend finding an inconspicuous test section and seeing how it reacts to being sanded off. It sounds like you've tried just about everything else.

Mitchell

DIYBeginner1
Growing in Experience

Hi guys, thanks for all the tips! I'm looking at starting my renovation and want to paint over existing wallpaper as on both a time and $$ budget. I am wanting to paint over existing wallpaper which feels like a waxed or vinyl finish but there are some seams peeling and I have tried to seal with paste glues, even light pva craft glue but it won't budge - do you have any recommendations to seal effectively prior painting? Thanks in advance. Toni

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYBeginner1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about wallpaper.

There are two possibilities open to you, first is to try Selleys 150g Kwik Grip Spray Contact Adhesive on the wall and wallpaper. It's important that all the old adhesives be taken off or sanded down before applying the new contact adhesive. Make sure to follow the recommended application process.  

The next method is to cut the loose excess wallpaper off with a craft knife and fill the gap with Multi Purpose Filler. Once the filler has cured sand the filler down and wipe off the dust with a damp rag.

If the surface of the wallpaper has a shiny or waxy surface it will be necessary to sand the surface and wipe it with Sugar Soap. Once you've wiped an area, make sure to wipe the surface with a dry rag to prevent getting the wallpaper soggy.

I recommend using Dulux 4L PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer, you can then use any water-based topcoat of your choice.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  How to paint like a professional by @Peggers.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi @DIYBeginner1,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

I see you also created a new topic with these questions, but trust Eric has provided you with everything you need. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reply. Some photos might also assist members to see what you are working with and provide more specific and helpful advice. 

All the best,

Jason

DIYBeginner1
Growing in Experience

Alrighty, I will pop into my local Bunnings for the materials recommended and give it a go. Thank you so much for your advice! Much appreciated.

Toni

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects