Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovations

Marg19
Growing in Experience

Renovations

Hi.  I'm renovating a 60's home, and really enjoying the process.  I have painted, wallpapered, ripped out doors and shelving.  I love seeing what people have accomplished.  My next big project is to do something about the very old ceramic tiles. I'm wondering if I can cover them with vynal planks.  I know I would have to fill in all the grouting to make a smooth surface.  Any ideas on would it be a possibility or maybe have other options?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Renovations

Hi @Marg19,

Sounds like a fantastic project. Many thanks for sharing. It's great to see you make your first post on Workshop and I hope we'll see many more as your renovation progresses. 

Can you please tell us where the ceramic tiles are in the house? And are you talking about floor or wall tiles? 

It would be great to see some photos as well - it might help community members to provide more assistance to you. Let me know if you need a hand with uploading images to the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Assuming you are talking about floor tiles, you are best to pull them up. See a similiar discussion here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Interiors/New-flooring-on-top-of-old-tiles/m-p/1877

There's also a DIY video that should help...

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

I've recently covered my ugly 70's tiles with Formica laminate floorboards. They don't require any underlay as it is already attached to the floorboards.

My builders covered around 40sqm in one day and the transformation is huge! We also had waterproof laminate flooarboards installed in our bathroom over the top of tiles and they also worked really well.

Before.JPG

After.JPG

Marg19
Growing in Experience

Home decor

• Thanks Jason for your reply.  I'm still unsure on how to use this site but here goes.

thd tiles I'm talking about are floor tiles, and I think you would say they were ceramic.  The grouting looks like cement.  The house is over 40 years old.

i will attempt to send a picture.  They are throughout the house, but the kitchen is the main area I would like to fix up first.

i had no luck sending a photo.  Will try and do it via a reply to your email.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Home decor

Hi @Marg19,

I've moved your second post so its with your first. The best way to continue a discussion is to hit the reply button.

To add a picture to a post, just hit the button above the text editor that looks like a landscape painting. I've attached a picture below that has the button circled.

I hope you have found the replies you've already received from Workshop members helpful, and that others might also be able to add their suggestions.

Jason

InsertImage.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Marg19
Growing in Experience

These are the old tiles I would like to cover with vynal planks.

image.jpeg

Re: These are the old tiles I would like to cover with vynal planks.

Are you thinking of laying vinyl planks straight on the top of the tiles or are you planning on either removing them or using a floor leveller? 

Marg19
Growing in Experience

RodAndo. What is a floor leveler? Was planning to go over the top with vynal flooring.

RodAndo.  I am new to this site, and do not know how to reply directly to you.  I was hoping to lay flooring over the top of the tiles, once I had filled in the grout areas. But what is a floor leveler? Maybe I should bite the bullet and hire someone to remove the tiles and go from there.

Re: RodAndo. What is a floor leveler? Was planning to go over the top with vynal flooring.

@Marg19

Hi, Floor leveller is a concrete based compound that you can mix up and pour over an existing floor to make level.  It's not the easiest to use if you haven't done it before and can get very, very messy.  I wouldn't lay vinyl straight over the tiles as you will eventually get indents where the joins are.  Here is a video of what is required.  Floor leveller is available in various size bags depending on application/size of room.  You may want to get some advise from the vinyl supplier on your best options.  Ripping up tiles is no fun game either.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects