Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Roof interior problem on 1960s bus renovation

Ne
Getting Established

Roof interior problem on 1960s bus renovation

1960s bus Reno.

I've done pretty good job so far but having trouble with re roofing interior. Glue not working, every time it's hot it all falls down. Drill does not penetrate the metal on this bus. Should I be looking at a 15 gauge nail gun for this job? Or will this completely anialate the MDF I'm attaching? Any other ideas?

PART_1578889166819.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roof interior problem on 1960s bus renovation

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop @Ne. Sounds like a really fun project! I would love to see the exterior of the bus. 

Let me tag some of our experienced caravan renovators in @Peggers and @twocutekelpies to see what they would suggest. I wonder whether @gippslandhome might also have a different idea from a tiling perspective. 

Welcome to Workshop. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ne
Getting Established

PART_1578889122587.jpg

PART_1578889133388.jpg

welcome to the workshop @Ne 

on a tiling perspective I would not do it ..

Tiles actually shrink and expand so that can be an issue ..it would also be a falling hazard because they will fall off 

without having a close look I am wondering if you can use flexible ply wood

liquid nails and prop it.

but a huge no for tiling

kind regards Rob

Ne
Getting Established

Thanks Rob,

In pics through middle of roof I have used Flexi ply. Extreme strength liquid nails melts in heat n has caused warp and fall 😖

Pics of the problem area.

157896294661564645987.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Peggers 

Have you got any ideas for @Ne?

Jason

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Ne 

I would think epoxy glue would hold it but not the 5 minute stuff, neither cheap or easy :unhappy:

great to see another early model Comair still out there, they seem to keep popping up. Do you know your Comair's history? I'd love to look it up for you and see if we can locate a photo for you of it years ago. Steve

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Freighter

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @Ne to make them aware of your question. It sounds like you've got a bit of knowledge about these vehicles. Is there a story behind how you know about them? Have you got your own renovated bus? We would definitely love to see it if you do. If you have any D.I.Y. projects ongoing, please don't hesitate to share them. 

Eric

Hi Eric, Just had an interest in these buses since the 60s and kept a list of them. Its great being able to tell owners the history of their old bus and a photo of it when in service.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects