Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

School locker makeover

timdawg
Building a Reputation

School locker makeover

hey guys i'm tim and i thought there's no better way of introducing myself to workshop than by sharing one of my projects so here it is...

i came across these old rusty lockers that needed a whole lot of loving.  they got primed and sprayed using rustoleum 2X.  the top was made by joining a heap of old fence pailings together.  after a really good sand the got multiple coats of feast watson tung oil.  came out an absolute treat.

if you've got any questions feel free to ask and thanks for letting me share 

tim

IMG_20140828_215635.jpg

IMG_20140806_081748.jpg

IMG_20140828_220404.jpg

aly
Making a Splash

Re: school locker makeover

Wow that looks brilliant @timdawg. I've been keeping an eye out for some old lockers on gumtree lately!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @timdawg. That looks fantastic.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your projects soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Wow. Love it. 

aly
Making a Splash

How did you go about painting it @timdawg? I love the look!

timdawg
Building a Reputation

Hey@aly the lockers were painted with spray paint.  after being primed they got three coats of grey to build up a solid background colour.  best advice i can give is to do multiple light coats rather than few thick coats.  i then very lightly sprayed a darker walnut colour over the top - spraying from a distance of about 50cm - to highlight all the edges and doors.  this gave it the distressed/rusty kind of look you can see

aly
Making a Splash

Thanks for the advice @timdawg. Will be sure to give it a go sometime. Looks fantastic!

davehutchy
Cultivating a Following

Fantastic. Would love to do something like this. Must see if I can find some old lockers.

If you are looking for lockers, may I suggest that you approach your local secondary school, specifically the General Assistant/Handyman. They may have some they are only too willing to part with.

Thanks for the tip @stephenjo.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon. Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects