Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Screen door closer cylinder

grantd
Finding My Feet

Screen door closer cylinder

Can someone please tell me how to lubricate a screen door closer cylinder to make it close without slamming at the end. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Screen door closer cylinder

That must be annoying @grantd. Have you tried anything yet? WD-40? Hopefully our helpful and knowledgeable community members will be able to assist you. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're sure you'll get loads of helpful advice, information and inspiration for your projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative members. Feel free to post anytime you need assistance or just have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

No, I haven’t tried WD40 as I thought I’d need something heavier, like grease, not a spray.

elly1
Cultivating a Following

I recently had a screen door installed and the handyman had to adjust a screw near the cylinder to stop it slamming?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @elly1. I'm sure @grantd appreciates the feedback. 

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're looking forward to reading more of your posts and hearing about your own projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand. We have loads of members sharing advice and inspiration every day.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Magic spray and adjusting the screw in the end of the cylinder should fix it. I need to do some adjusting on the back door as it doesn't trip the latch all the time.
grantd
Finding My Feet

Magic spray??
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

WD40 or it's variants.

grantd
Finding My Feet

Thanks for all your help. I’ll give it a go today.
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Was wondering this myself - hadn't got as far as inspecting the cylinder, just 'rhubarb, rhubarb' under the breath as it slams behind me when I've full hands... thank you! will now look for the screw...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects