Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sealing particle board

reneechrista93
Just Starting Out

Sealing particle board

Hi all,

I need to seal of some chipboard and I have done some research and the product to do this is a solvent-based polyurethane. Does Bunnings sell this in a particular brand? Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sealing particle board

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @reneechrista93. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Solvent-based polyurethane is more commonly called oil-based polyurethane. The range of Cabot's Oil Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Varnish would be a solvent-based product and suitable for your project.

What are you sealing the chipboard for? Is it a project you are working on?

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for replying.

The underside of my kitchen bench has started to crumble. I'm in a rental so I can't do much other than seal it in some way to stop it from getting worse. 

Hi Mitchell,

My kitchen bench next to the oven has similar crumbling of small particles at underside of the melamine bench top, can I use the same varnish? I suspect the heat ventilated from the oven is causing the adhesive of the board to get oxidised or damaged or whatever. If this varnish can withstand heat ventilated from the oven would be great. 

Regards,

Mike

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mkw. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about binding deteriorated particleboard.

If you could provide a little more information on the proximity of the particleboard to the oven, our helpful members will be better informed and able to provide some useful advice. Some photos showing the distance from the oven would be beneficial.

Typically an oven is fairly well insulated, and you shouldn't be experiencing extreme heat making contact with the particle board. If this deterioration is from heat, there might not be enough air gap between the oven and the benchtop. The Cabot's varnish can tolerate some heat, but it is not designed to withstand heat. 

I look forward to seeing some images and hearing more about the issue.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Please see attached photos. Hopefully these are self explanatory - front (showing oven next to the cabinet); underside (of the bench top where gaps for oven ventilation); underside with light (showing rough underside surface by a torch light); particles (crumbled particles from the underside when rubbed gently with hand). front.jpgunderside.jpgunderside with light.jpgParticles.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could certainly try @reneechrista93's recommendation of Cabot's polyurethane, as I suspect it will work just fine @mkw. I'd typically advise scrubbing the surface with a stiff bristle brush to remove the bulk of the loose material and binding it with it PVA glue that you've watered down slightly so it's brushable. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects