Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I seal a new entrance door?

spanknjoey
Just Starting Out

Should I seal a new entrance door?

I have just brought a new entrance door from Bunnings code 0285498 (it looks to be wood and was $335),

my question is that It says to seal it and paint it but I like they way it looks now, do I still have to seal it? and what do I seal it with if I want to keep the wood look.

It has 4 small frosted glass panels on it.20210905_131348.jpg20210905_131223.jpgScreenshot_20210905-133704_Chrome.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sealing entrance door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @spanknjoey. It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your question about entrance doors.

As this door will be exposed to the weather, it needs a coat of paint or clear sealer on the front, back, top and bottom. Otherwise, it will deteriorate and begin to rot eventually. You could leave it unsealed, but the manufacturer recommends a coating. By applying a clear sealer you'll retain the timber look, and I suggest something similar to Johnstone's 1L Satin Water Based Clear Interior / Exterior Varnish. I'm not sure if it's the raw timber look that you particularly like, but that will be lost to a certain extent; the colour will stay the same, though, albeit slightly darker.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you I do like the colour also, but if it is a little darker I am ok with that. I am getting someone in to install it for me, so I am assuming that I would have to do this before they do the install? And it said it was made of Meranti timber and veneer, FSC NZ Radiata Pine(core) and 4mm tempered frost glass, so am assuming its wood??

Thanks again

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@spanknjoey,

It's best to coat the door before it is installed, as it will be almost impossible to get to the bottom edge after installation. Coating the bottom of the door is the most important part as that is where most moisture will enter the door and why you commonly see unsealed doors splintering and rotting down low.

That door is entirely made from timber, including a solid timber core. More budget varieties substitute the solid timber for an internal structure made from MDF manufactured board.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects