Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I use ceiling paint?

firetruck
Just Starting Out

Should I use ceiling paint?

I started in the bathroom, asked paint dept at Bunnings if needed semi gloss for ceiling, but was advised low sheen was ok,   have since also done bedroom with one coat.  Noticed online that there is specific ceiling paint.  Will this go straight over the low sheen ok?  Also is this the one that is coloured slightly and turns white as it dries, to make it easier to see where you have painted up to? 
I need to order a 4 litre tin, as I only got the small one to start with.

Thanks for your assistance.   

Regards
Betty 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Should I use ceiling paint?

Hi Betty (@firetruck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll receive plenty of helpful advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

In order to assist you with your painting project, can we please have some more detail? What room are you now wanting to paint? Are you painting new plasterboard or over existing paint? Have you used an undercoat? What type of paint have you started with? - brand and full product name please.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @firetruck

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jason. Painting over the low sheen paint is not necessary unless you wish to cover the entire area again. However, if you are only painting a portion of the ceiling that is unfinished with ceiling paint, you will notice a difference in their finish. The paint your referring to is the Taubmans Easycoat Flat Pink To White Ceiling Paint - 4L. It is as you've described it, goes on pink and dries white.

I suggest following the painting practice of using a primer if it is bare plaster. If you are painting over an existing area, give it a good clean with a brush. If repairs and sanding are needed, make sure to cover all your items in the room you wish to protect from dust and paint.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a ceiling

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @Brad for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @firetruck  in my experience with ceiling paint, it tends to be high in "substance", so it covers well, but is low in surface strength. It is only suited to areas that won't be touched i.e. ceilings.  Is there any reason why you want to cover the low sheen paint in the bedroom? Low sheen was good advice for the bathroom in my opinion, since ceiling paint substance can absorb moisture and it doesn't clean easily, whereas the low sheen will have a better surface that can protect itself. 

(For anyone thinking of using ceiling paint for undercoat.... don't! Other paints tend to interact badly with it.)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects