Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Skylight repair help

Deaks456
Finding My Feet

Skylight repair help

Hi Folks! 

I have a skylight in a bathroom that is in need of some loving. In the pic 

PXL_20210728_055136506.jpg

PXL_20210707_024128512.MP.jpg

  

attached it shows how the moisture has gotten to the corrugated sheets. 

I'm looking for some advice on what material I should use to replace it, and also any advice on a diffuser to replace the existing air grill? 

Would a new polycarbonate/similar corrugate work like in the picture? 

Many thanks for the help! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Skylight repair help

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Deaks456. We're really pleased to have you join us and trust you'll receive loads of helpful advice and all manner of ideas and inspiration for your home and garden.

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back on the site tomorrow to assist you. In the meantime, let me tag the ever-helpful @JDE and @tom_builds to see how they would tackle this repair. 

All the best, we're looking forward to seeing the completed job. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Deaks456

Thank you for sharing your question about repairing your skylight.

It looks like water has entered through the roof and destroyed the timber inside the light tunnel. I suggest inspecting the seal of the perspex on your roof. If it has deteriorated this will need repair. Remove the old seal with a Trojan 6 In1 Multi Paint Scraper making sure not to damage the perspex. I suggest using Selleys 310g Roof And Gutter Silicone - Translucent to seal the perspex back onto the roof. Once re-sealed you can proceed to repair the light tunnel. Please make sure to take all safety measures when working on your roof.

I recommend taking the damaged panel off carefully and try to determine what type of material it is. From the photo, it looks like very thin plywood. Once you have taken it off would it be possible for you to post a closer photo of the panel? This will give us a better idea of what to recommend to repair your skylight. If it is plywood, you will just need to cut several pieces in the same dimension and paint them with exterior paint. I suggest replacing all four panels in the tunnel and sealing them with the Selleys Roof and Gutter Silicone.

Let me tag our experienced member @TedBear for his recommendations.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your skylight repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I agree with EricL's approach to 1) fixing the leak, then 2) replacing the lining.

As to replacing the air grill - if you are ok with leaving it there as a support, you could use a piece of white Corflute to reduce air flow/heat transfer, look neater and also disperse the light more evenly. It is cheap, easy to cut (knife or big scissors) and lightweight, but it doesn't have much stiffness, so it might sag without the support of the existing open grill.

Thanks @TedBear, @Jason and @EricL.

Project currently.on hold as bathroom is being renovated, but I'll get back in there once that's completed. Appreciate the tips, and will.definitley report back once I have finished. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects