Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Spray painting interior

nicole72
Growing in Experience

Spray painting interior

I have to paint the whole interior from cream to white. As I have a back injury

• Is it easier to spray paint walls and ceilings 
  • what is the best way to practice spray painting before starting on the walls
  • am I better to buy the spray gun and accessories or hire
  • do you have to do 2 coats when spray painting

Thanks

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Spray painting interior

Nicole72  This is a huge job. If you use a spray gun you have mask everything off because there will be spray drift. Uni-mask have a good tape with attached plastic sheet we found it helpful you can get it at Bunnings. If doing the whole house this way hiring an airless spraygun may be the way to go. You have to water down your paint and can practice on a sheet of gyprock or any flat surface. You will normally need more than one coat. Trick is to keep the spraygun at rightangle to surface and not be tempted to put paint on too thick. You would also need to wear PPE especially a mask.(first time I used one I had paint comming out of me for days) While I have done this on a new house with no floor covering I put 3 coats on ceiling and 2 coats on wall of a 36sq house in under 24hrs allowing drying time. After a day of masking. Because of the mess it created and the overspray, we have since always avoided sprayguns when doing renos unless replacing floor coverings and broken jobs into smaller sections read room at a time using a roller and brush for cut in.  I have never tried with a tiny spraygun maybe someone else on the forum has. Also just a point if you spray and need to do a touch up later you will have to spray to match the paint texture if you want it to be perfect. JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nicole72. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

It's great to see you've already received some fantastic feedback from @JDE.

I thought I'd just mention to give yourself plenty of time. If you're going to hire a spray gun I'd recommend doing so for a whole week. You might find there is a reduced rate for longer hires. Don't rush yourself and try to get the job done in a few days. As someone who also has a back injury, even when spray painting, you'll still need to paint some areas which you might find difficult. 

Personally, I'd prefer to paint by hand and take my time with it. Do a little bit in the morning and then continue in the afternoon. This really comes down to how you are going with it, I'd be lucky to be able to paint for two hours without needing a decent break.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nicole72
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell great advice and I appreciate it.

nicole72
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much JDE great advice and very helpful. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects