Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Stuck window winder

quynhpham55
Growing in Experience

Stuck window winder

Hi, I am just moving in a new house and there is a Lockwood window winder without key from previous owner. Window cannot be opened and when we wind the handle it keeps turning but the window is not moving. I want them to remove then I can put in new lock but don't know how.lockwood.jpg.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stuck window winder

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @quynhpham55. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about removing window locks.

Have you tried pushing the window out whilst winding the handle? It might not actually be locked, and instead, the internal gears could be stripped out. By assisting it with pushing, it might be enough to open the window and then you could proceed with the lock removal process.

It can be quite challenging to remove a window winder from the window if it is in a closed position. The winder mechanism can be easily be removed from the frame with the two screws on top. However, the chain is attached to the window, and the fixings are obscured by the winder mechanism whilst in the closed position. You need to open the window to make this a simple process. If you can open the window, then you'll be able to drill out the pop rivets attaching the chain to the window frame.

Another option is to try and cut through the chain with a Stanley 254mm Mini Hacksaw. You'll need to remove the winder mechanism via the two screws and once the window is free, there might be enough gap to slide the hacksaw between the winder mechanism and the window frame. You'll need to be very careful not to damage the window in this process. 

This sounds like a job for a locksmith, and if the window is just locked, they'll be able to cut a new key for it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I got it. Thanks a lot.

Hi @quynhpham55,

I'm so glad you solved the issue. Would you mind letting us know how you removed it? Knowing that would be very helpful for the next person that comes along with the same problem.

Mitchell

Hi,

I did as you said. Removed 2 screws then push the window out. From the bottom of the lock I dismantled it then removed 2 screws where the hook is screwed to the window.

Great work @quynhpham55 and many thanks for sharing the solution so others can also benefit from your experience.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share with other members.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects