Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The use of silicones should require a licence.

Jerryattrick
Finding My Feet

The use of silicones should require a licence.

Beware of the use of silicone for everything on an exterior surface. Use only where you do not need to paint, even in the future as paint will not stick to most silicones.

I have found that a polyeurathane sealant adhesive to be a better option and can be painted over. I have had places like zincalume gutters and flashing where silicones have been used and as a result the silicones have to be cut, scraped and cleaned of all residue before any paint can be applied. Also on caravans, people persist on using silicones and then when you have to touch up an area, you have to rid the area of all the residue. It would have been better to have used these sealant adhesives ,which are easier to use and clean the areas as you go, and then save your hours of cleaning off the silicones.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: The use of silicones should require a licence.

Thanks for sharing your experiences @Jerryattrick and joining in the discussion on Workshop. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. I hope you find plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our members for your projects. Please let us know if you need a hand with anything, or feel free to post anytime you have a project to share.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects