Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tools to create digital image of your imagination

Sugar
Having an Impact

Tools to create digital image of your imagination

I have various plans and visions for my house projects. What do you guys use ( software / computer-based tools) to turn your imagination into a digital form of the image so that I can erase, edit, show others for feedbacks and check if that concept is viable? 

If these tools can be used for indoor home improvement as well as for outdoor landscaping ( which I need mainly for), that will help me a lot. I give a new concept to my existing house and do the home improvement slowly. I have already done painting ( 4bedroom house) with the help of my wife, curtain hanging, etc.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: tools to create digital image of your imagination

Hi @Sugar,

I believe a few of our members use a free tool called SketchUp for a variety of 3d modelling projects. For specific applications like landscaping, you might like to search for a tool designed for that purpose. When I need to illustrate widgets and basic 3d renderings, I use a free tool called Tinkercad. I'll include an image below of a vertical garden using this program. I find it very easy to use compared to other 3d modelling programs.

Let me mention @redracer01 to see if he has some suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
woodenwookie
Making a Splash

I mainly use Autodesk's Fusion 360. It's simple to use once you get used to the concept. But it's ridiculously powerful and can do drawings for 3D printing and CNC as well. It has a hobby user licence so you can use this powerful software for free. Whenever I'm designing toys or other stuff then this is my go-to app. It blows SketchUp out of the water in terms of power but there are more resources for SketchUp.

However, for designing floorplans etc I'm using an application called Sweet Home 3D. It allows you to draw a 2D layout of your floor plan and it will automatically generate a 3D model of that plan. I'm currently using it to make plans for our house so that I can write a document for the council with regards to what we want to do.

@MitchellMc & @woodenwookie  

Thank you for mentioning those tools. I will start playing with them and see if they fill my purposes. 

Have a great new year. 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Tools to create digital image of your imagination

Thanks for asking this question. I found the suggested answers very useful, so I hope you did too.

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Still curious to hear @redracer01's suggestions. Have you had a chance to play with any of the suggested software @Sugar?

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Sugar 

Yes @MitchellMc is correct I use Sketchup and a little bit of Photoshop here and there. There are dozens of free software for both inside and outside the house. You just need to find one that suits you. My gauge for software usability is that if I am not instantly good with it, its too hard to learn. Kidding aside I encourage you to search for one that will suit your needs best. Sometimes the learning curve may be a bit high, but when you reach the summit nothing is beyond you. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects