Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are your new year plans?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What are your new year plans?

I'm excited about 2016. We're finally going to start our backyard project which has been over 12 months in planning. We're hoping to really transform our backyard into a relaxing and useful space. 

What are your plans for 2016? Do you have a project that you want to get cracking on?

And do you have a new year's resolution to learn a new D.I.Y. or gardening skill? 

Let us know your plans for the new year in the discussion below. 

Jason

Measuring.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Re: What are your new year plans?

Our plans are to get a carport / garage up and running at our home. We currently have no car shelter at all, the driveway goes from the front of the house to the back. 

We have been getting mixed opinions on what to do though. Some people think we should build the garage as an extension of the house (out of brick so it looks like part of the house). While others think we should just build a metal garage and be done with it. 

Is there any benefit in doing this either way? Does a garage or carport increase the house value in anyway?

We are certainly in mixed minds about what we want to do. 

@kaylah_rose

Great project! Do you have any photos of the front of your house that you could post?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Jason 

Yes I do :smile:

This is our driveway. As you can see it leads up into the backyard. Our barkyard is somewhat a triangle shape being at the end of a court. 

IMG_1011.jpg

Here is what it looks like past the fence. 

IMG_1010.jpg

And this is another angle. 

IMG_1008.jpg

My original thought was to build the carport along the side of the driveway and wrap around the back of the house to lead into shelter for an outdoor entertaining area. Haven't really seen anything done like that before though, so am still a bit unsure. 

My partner's suggestion was to build a shed across the ENTIRE backyard for his cars... this idea was quickly dismissed. 

Any ideas are welcomed! We need some inspiration!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects