Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What did you do over the weekend?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What did you do over the weekend?

Hi everyone,

Every Monday I'm keen to hear what you got up to over the weekend.

It might have been starting a new project, getting stuck into some gardening, hosting a cracking BBQ, catching a new movie, getting some exercise, catching up with friends and family, or just relaxing with a good book.

Please share in the discussion below. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What did you do over the weekend?

Many thanks for sharing, @Andy_Mann. It would be great if you could start a new discussion and share some photos of this project. I'm sure all the community would love to see what you have achieved.

We managed to get some gardening in over the weekend, have started planting in our backyard. It's also going to be a big job...

Jason

I spent all of Saturday volunteering through the NFP I run with a good mate of mine, Flow Perth. Then Sunday I installed some neq lightinf in the garage, reprogrammed my garage door and cleaned some stuff out of there and put the first coat on my timber frame for a feature wall I'm doing in my pool area.

Took Monday off work, worked on my car, did the 2nd and 3rd (final) coats on the timber frame and mowed my front lawn.

Nothing too exciting (except Saturday) but it'll be all go once all my Marri arrives for the feature wall :laugh:
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Have spent time over the weekend repainting some fencing panels and the retaining wall so it blends in. Also getting stuck into planting, one small section at a time. It's going to be a big job so will do it in small chunks over the next month or two.

garden.JPG

No DIY for me this wknd. I did take an extra day off for an escape down south with #wifey but #nokids. It was amazing. The only "DIY" I got to do was cleaning the red dirt off my new car when I got home :cheeky:

Got some good stuff coming up though with planning and sourcing the right wood coming along well for the feature wall in my pool area.
----------
Handy and helpful

Kid-free weekend?  Great work @ProjectPete.

I am also thinking about some sort of feature wall at the moment for the new games room. I have some WRC timber battens leftover from our pool fence and want to utilise them.

Jason

@Jason Keen to see how it all goes mate. I'll share my project soon, just waiting on my Marri wood to come out the kiln, cut to size and then I've got a 6 hour round trip to pick it all up (a friend of mine has a mill down south and is obvs doing me a great deal for me to drive 6 hours for it :cheeky:)

I'm basically doing it like decking, with a staggered layout, but fixing it to a fence instead of the ground.

----------
Handy and helpful
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason & @ProjectPete, looking forward to seeing your outdoor feature walls, I messed up our WRC fence, & Karri deck years ago, so please learn from my mistakes.

I got lazy with wood oiling the WRC, so our fence now looks like it's made of roughly handled, craggy shiplapped driftwood (not a good look), & the Karri deck disappeared in front of my eyes, but serves me right for not termite proofing it. :unhappy:

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason I forgot to mention before that you'll need to treat all surfaces of your cedar.

I'd always thought that Western Red Cedar was very stable, but it still requires complete sealing for it to mauntain its beauty.

If you only do the visible faces, moisture ingress from the untreated areas will potentially wreak havoc with the wood (as in my case), causing warping & splitting, plus it will expand in the wet seasons, & shrink in the dry which could be a problem if hard mounted directly to the fence.

Yeah I've oiled the frame already @Andy_Mann and will certainly oil the Marri once I receive it and do it 1-2 times a year depending how it matures.

I've gone for rough sawn for a more rustic finish in the area so have that working in my favour as it ages :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What did everyone do over the weekend?

We did a little more planting and weeding in the backyard. Trying to take it a little at a time as its a big job ahead.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects