Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do you hate about Australian homes?

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

What do you hate about Australian homes?

Just read this article about the most terrible things about Australian houses - http://www.domain.com.au/advice/the-most-terrible-things-about-australian-homes-20160913-grf2ln/

I certainly agree with some of the list, like the number of beautiful brick houses that end up with ugly render on them, overly big garages, environmentally ignorant design and McMansions that are too big and stacked right next to each other. 

Big one for me with modern homes is their lack of eaves, which is stupid in our climate. Our homes are just not very energy efficient. 

Re: What do you hate about Australian homes?

I totally agree Andy_Mann - one thing I would add to your points is that my block which we bought back in 1978 is about 980 square metres but today you would be extrememly lucky if you were able to get more than 500 square metres.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Annette, so good to have someone who has experienced those days (70s), & acknowledging the complete flip in land v build costs.

We built in '75, on a block of 670 square metres, & were openly criticised on 2 counts. For some it was that we'd build next door to my parents, & the second & more overwhelming reason was that it was such a radically small block of land.

We were 10 years ahead of the times, I clearly remember reading an article in the property section of The Advertiser, about the new innovation (mid 80s) of courtyard homes, that a builder was introducing.

Not seeing it as payback, or gloating, but those that criticised have all moved several times, they now have smaller allotments than ours, have zero privacy, & can't utilise their space as well as we've been able to.

What disgusts me, is that land speculators have made it almost impossible for Australians to live the Australian promise of a home for their familes, & true Australian backyards with a Hills hoist, & another area for vegies, chooks, fruit trees, & an incinerator.

An incinerator ! Boy does that bring back memories - haven't seen one since I was a kid!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Incinerator banned in 1994 for @Andy_Mann and myself.

If you live in another SA area that does allow it then -

When using an incinerator, you must have:
A four-metre cleared space around and above the fire
A responsible person must be in attendance at all times with water or an extinguisher.
All incinerator doors and openings should be closed and screens and guards in place.

Hills hoist and birdbath would do me in on cleared space even on 895sqm.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hey @Andy_Mann & @Jason The average Aussie battler and punter dosen't have
" a Hills hoist, & another area for vegies, chooks, fruit trees, & an incinerator."
Times have moved on for better or worse & it is what it is..

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@BIM_Engineer, I'm putting my money, on that we're worse off than before. Yes it is what it is, & the younger generations don't know any differently, but that's exactly my point.

To paint it a different colour, imagine you design yourself your ideal home, but Miss Fortune waves her wand, & says "Sorry, but unless you want to build on a nuclear waste site, & have $5M, you're out of luck".

The reality is that the youngs don't have an alternative to living like sardines, unless they have fuel vouchers & enjoy 4 hours each of travel time a day to fund paying the bills.

On top of that, couples are expected to work long hours, so are extremely time poor & may never be able to experience the joys of growing their own fruit & vege, or sending the kids out the back for fresh eggs, let alone offer an area for them to play.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Andy_Mann rather than lament aussie homes/life styles and depress the the next generation you'd do better suggesting improvements that DIYers can tackle to improve their smaller plot in life..my kids are happy to buy fruit, veggies and eggs at Coles.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@BIM_Engineer, rubbishing homeowners, their homes, or decisions, was never my intent. It galls me that homes in prime areas that still have the Aussie backyard, & a convenient distance from business centres are being snapped up by developers, & replaced with high density housing.

I'm frustrated out of my mind that I don't have any powers, or DIY suggestions to fix what's done/happening, but by your reckoning, I should zip it, or step up to cure the disease of unsustainable development.

Not knowing your age group, I ask, as a child, did you ever thank your neighbour for giving you a freshly picked orange from her backyard?

Totally agree with you ...  we, in Australia, waste our roofing areas. Basements can flood .. so maybe this is a reason why we don't have these, as we flood more in Aust.  (I think ??)  Would others agree with this comment ??

.The inhabitants. Just joking,

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects