Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What floating shelf brackets should I use for bookshelves?

btrew
Finding My Feet

What floating shelf brackets should I use for bookshelves?

Hi there,

I'm planning to install 3 x 1140mm solid timber floating shelves in our study. Shelves will be 32mm thick, and 300mm deep. I've never done this before. These are intended as book shelves. Been looking for suitable brackets to secure them into the wall studs. Seen the below online and like the way they work. But they are for masonary walls. What can you suggest for my purposes?

btrew_0-1628568273860.png

Thanks

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What floating shelf brackets should I use for bookshelves?

Welcome @btrew and thanks for sharing your project with us.

Let me tag @hazesnow, @Tara86 and @JoeAzza who may be able to help. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to offer suggestions when he's back on the site on Friday.

Since you mentioned it's your first time tackling this kind of project, you may also want to check out this guide for helpful tips along the way: How To Install Floating Shelves.

Look forward to seeing this project come together.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

BF72AB84-7C84-4D20-8695-93A77E12681F.jpeg

l made my own to suit the floating shelf I built

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @btrew 

I too like @hazesnow, made my own floating shelves, I used 1/2 inch threaded rod for the brackets. My shelves were made from recycled timber, 16 mm thick, doubled up at the edges to make it 32mm overall thickness. The rods were lined up onto the wall  in line with the studs, I drilled and tapped the studs to take the threaded rod, the shelves are set low, therefore I made  short pieces for timber routered out to fit over the threaded rod, making it easier for positioning the shelves.

JoeAzza_0-1628641584989.jpeg

JoeAzza_2-1628642164808.jpeg

JoeAzza_1-1628642094475.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @btrew,

Will these shelves be completely filled with books? If so, the simplest solution would be to use standard angle brackets on the top side of the shelf, which the books will hide. You could rebate the thickness of the bracket into the shelf, so it ends up flush with the surface. For a traditional concealed bracket, you might like to use Carinya 100 x 76 x 20mm Adjustable Floating Brackets

@hazesnow and @JoeAzza have also made some great suggestions that could work quite well in your situation.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects