Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best room in your house? Why?

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

What is the best room in your house? Why?

Are you all about food and the kitchen? Perhaps you prefer to spend your time in your shed or garage? Or maybe it's not a room at all - perhaps it's your garden that gives you the most joy. I'd love to hear all about what you enjoy doing in your downtime.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is the best room in your house? Why?

I'll kick off. 

I imagine most people would say the best room in our place is our open-plan kitchen and family room, which we renovated about 15 years ago. It's a really functional space but I especially love it when friends and family come over that people just naturally gravitate to hanging around the island bench, sharing food and stories. 

AfterKitchen.JPG

As I've shared before though, I think my favourite room at our place is our lounge room. We've kept it with a retro 50s feel in contrast to the more modern extension at the back. It has a fire when it gets cold, lovely light, and is particularly pleasant when you want to take advantage of the afternoon sun and enjoy some peace and quiet. 

Lounge.jpg

Let me tag a few members who I would love to hear from, including @2Belindas@Tara86@prettyliving@Benskimo and @Peggers.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Benskimo
Making a Splash

(Thanks for the ping, @Jason :wink: ) - Ha, it's funny, the first thing I thought of was the kitchen, too... But the more I think about it, it's our rumpus room. We converted the back half of a (long!) tandem garage years ago into a rumpus room for the kids (or for the grown-ups when we just want to be big kids), with a midcentury modern flavour to reflect the rest of the house (it was built in '69).

It's the room with the bookcases, the board games, the smart TV, the better lounge suite, and it has sliding doors with a view out to the pool. Relaxation to a T! Now that our kids are teenagers, it's serving even better for sleepovers and teen hangs.  

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Thanks for the tag @Jason 

We have a big room at the very front of our house, it was designed to be a theatre room but I’ve turned it into an study/craft room. I love it in there, it’s far away enough from the kids rooms & toy room so it’s prob the only room that doesn’t get trashed with toys on a daily basis haha 😅 The kids have a craft desk set up in there which they use all the time. 

2Belindas
Making a Splash

Hi @JaneK 
It's probably not the first thing that most renovators pay attention to, but we worked on the existing pool as soon as we moved in.  It was stinky, full of frogs and mozzies, and so it became our priority to get it fixed before Christmas.  

Lots of old plumbing, electrical, pool pumps and filters to replace or upgrade. 

Cost us $48k, but was the best decision for our family. 

We are water lovers and it definitely kept the kids happy, as we'd just moved from a beautiful house into another 'renovator'.  
It's where we spend our time, so was totally worth fixing it up first.  

main(2).jpgIMG_1970.PNGPool 8 Matthew Flinders Place during reno.jpg

Creating a beautiful home on a budget

IMG_1616.jpg

Not sure if it counts, but my library at the warehouse is my favourite room. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects