Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to stain polyurethane coated furniture?

JB2002
Just Starting Out

What is the best way to stain polyurethane coated furniture?

I have purchased a set of furniture that has been coated with clear polyurethane, I want to sand it back and stain it to match my other furniture better. What would be the best way to do this?

IMG_1191.PNGIMG_1190.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best way to stain polyurethane coated furniture?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JB2002. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about staining your furniture.

As you've mentioned, a fair bit of sanding will be required to remove the current coating. A random orbital or detail sander will be needed as doing this by hand would be very laborious. You could consider using Bondall 500ml Waterbased Paint & Varnish Stripper to remove the bulk of the coating before sanding. If most of the coating comes off with the stripper, it will save you a great deal of work.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to restore wooden furniture. In the last step, you'll need to use a stain and varnish that matches your other furniture instead of the clear varnish they use.

To update the look of these units, don't forget you can change the handles to more modern variants. If you want to switch the handles from the current single-hole to dual-hole, you can fill the single-hole with Timbermate wood putty and re-drill holes to suit the new handles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects