Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint to use on MDF stairs?

Katze
Just Starting Out

What paint to use on MDF stairs?

Hi! I hate carpet on stairs. With 4 cats it is a nightmare to keep clean.

I have inspected them and they seem to be MDF, I am planning on removing carpet and painting them white and black.

Now the white risers are easy enough I will probably just match them to the trim. However I dont know what to use for the black, what sort of paint should be used?

Tips for making it non slip? (I might just use a non slip tape or something.

Thanks!

(If anyone has done similar and can post pics that would be fab, google just has solid wood ones that are stained)

16659531300618085506722464303845.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What paint to use on MDF stairs?

Hi @PeterB,

Just to clarify my colleague @EricL's response, there are no paints that we are aware of that our suppliers recommend for application on an MDF floor surface, like stairs. A few of our members have attempted to use flooring paints, but none have been tested and deemed suitable for MDF or warrantied by the manufacturer. Their use would be off-label, and the results are unknown.

Unfortunately, there are no painted coatings we could recommend for your MDF stairs.  We've tried extensively to devise a solution to enable our members to paint MDF stairs, as we understand and appreciate the look you're trying to achieve. Still, the incompatibilities with the available coatings have ruled out this possibility.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PeterB
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell.  That puts it in a very clear position. I will forge ahead on and see what it brings.  I have used road marking paint as an external paint in high salt environments near the sea and it has worked well.  Let's see what happens.

Cheers

Adamanz10
Getting Established

Thanks for that. Actually we did consider that as well. It’s just trying to figure out how to make the noses look good. But plywood does seem like a versatile option. Thank you

Adamanz10
Getting Established

Thanks for that. Actually we did consider that as well. It’s just trying to figure out how to make the noses look good. But plywood does seem like a versatile option. Thank you

Adamanz10
Getting Established

Please let us know what paint you decided on and the non-slip finish. I have found a company called Swiss Grip non-slip solutions that seem good.

Hi @Adamanz10,

A round-over router bit could be used to give a profile to the nose of the stairs. My only concern with that plan would be that more budget-friendly plywood often has voids between the plys, and you'd need to fill those with something like Builder's Bog.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PeterB
Getting Established

I will.  Its my easter research project.  What I have found though is the sealing and undercoat is key.  Make sure the coverage is dense and if using a roller then it must be at leat a 12mm nap.  And upto 3 coats.  Removes the burring/fuzziness.

PeterB
Getting Established

Just a follow up on the MDF stairs.  I used Dulux line-marking paint.  The process was:  sanding to a 180 grit. 2 undercoats - using a 12mm nap.  sanding after the second coat.  Dulux line-marking paint using a 12mm nap and sand in between coats with 180 grit.  The line-marking paint has excellent slip resistance by itself.  Then 2 coats of Haymes Aqualac Non-slip clear coat satin finish using a 10mm nap.  Very light sanding in between.  The Aqualac has a P5 non-slip rating.  The stairs have very good slip resistance and the clear coat makes them easily cleaned with a soap and water spray and a microfibre cloth.  All paints are quick drying - no more than 3 hours between coats.

Adamanz10
Getting Established

That sounds really good. Can you send a photo? Glad it’s working out for you. We probably won’t be tackling that for another 6 months but thanks for the info

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects