Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What should I do with a long hallway?

Farleys
Getting Established

What should I do with a long hallway?

We've got a really narrow and long hallway in our house. We are looking for some ideas to make it a bit more interesting and hopefully a little less claustrophobic without being too over the top. Don't want to do something drastic like wallpaper or a "feature" wall. Any ideas welcome.

Stephen

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

Re: What should I do with a long hallway?

What are the dimensions @Farleys? Do you have a photo?

Farleys
Getting Established

It's about 10m long and only about a metre wide.

Hey @Farleys - I'd be interested to know the type of flooring in the hallway and also what colour the walls are. I'll second @KingStreetReno - can we see a photo?

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

If it's dark I'd consider a skylight or two. If that's not possible, then some pendant lights will not only brighten but also create some interest. 

13290d6f39c41d405e81c0ad7c5091db.jpgBondi-Penthouse-13-723x1024.jpgIMG_7615-740645.jpg

I'd also look at having a series of something along the wall - use it as a gallery space. Depending on your interests, something like vintage movie posters, family photos, sketches, etc. 

erinhallwayart.jpggallery-art-hallway.jpg3a34b33aa5f0790d703120fc09f6f2ba.jpg

My hallway is currently 8 metres long (soon to be around 11 metres) and we are adding in x 2 skylights and painting it all Natural White by Dulux to lighten it up.

We have also added in pendant lights which look great.

I really like the photo wall suggested by @Isobel :smile:

Farleys
Getting Established

Polished timber floor and white walls Jackson, so a bit of a blank canvas at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will investigate skylight options. They look fantastic.  

Kellie
Making a Splash

Wood panelling (wainscoting) might add interest. You would just need a good carpenter or if you are handy you could DIY. 

wains.jpg

wains2.jpg

aly
Making a Splash

I'm with @Isobel on this one - make a gallery out of the space! My family home hallway is lined with old paintings and photographs - adds some character.

Janina_G
Having an Impact

I agree with th photos pictures, A friend of mine broke up photos on one side of family [she is an artist and photographer] so made groups of family at different stages, arranged in differents shapes etc [ wish I had a photo still] and on other side, where painting arranged in hotpotch ways with the smaller lower down and the HUGE OIL up higher, looked awesome

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects