Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What transparent silcone to seal the window frame?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

What transparent silcone to seal the window frame?

We are having floods here in queensland, turned out that the window frame was not sealed by previous owner , so when its raining heavily, rainwater seap through the upper window frame line to the garage floor.

signal-2022-02-27-16-39-51-972.jpg

signal-2022-02-27-21-42-14-141.jpg

Is there transparent silicone suitable for outdoor use? We are planning to seal off four edges

Many thanks for any advic

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: (URGENT) Flooding - what transparent silcone to seal the window frame?

Selleys All Clear Multipurpose Sealant, would be perfect for what you are after. 

Remarka6le
ivanptr
Making a Splash

20220228_022137.jpg

20220228_022131.jpgAlso, is this the best setup for drying the space behind gyprock wall? We have placed a dehumidifier and cut a hole on the wall for better ventilation.

I'm so sorry to hear you've been affected by the flooding @ivanptr.

If there isn't a lot of water in the wall, then your method would work reasonably well for drawing out some moisture. Ultimately, cutting the plaster away and opening up the wall would be more effective, but I'm not sure if you want to go to that extent.

I'd agree with @Remarka6le that Selleys All Clear Multipurpose Sealant would be suitable for sealing around your window frame, or Sikaflex 11FC is another good option.

Please keep us updated on your situation and reach out if there is anything else we can do.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc Fortunately the situation is much better than we expected. We noticed the weather forecast before the flooding, but the ag-drain install will be weeks later 

so as a temporary measure we dug a trench and a hole and put a 350w ozito pump in. It became our lifesaver.

Whenever the rain got weaker, the water in the hole was pumped away very quickly. Now that we are planning to get a second 700w pump, one 350w pump is not quick enough esp during a sudden heavy downpour. (need to wait until it gets weaker)

Though we have another question, our relative thinks her stormwater drain is very slightly blocked by leaves and root, and it didnt work quite well even before the flood

Is there any non-corrosive drain cleaner? like those emyzne cleaner that can be effective?

Many thanks!

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

@MitchellMc will be happy to help with your question when he's back on the site on Friday. In the meantime, let me tag @Adam_W and @Remarka6le to see if they can offer suggestions.

Stevie

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Hey @ivanptr , 

When we first purchased our home, we used these drain clean tablets and they worked a treat. Give those a go, but if you continue to experience problems you might want to hire someone with a high pressure water jetter to come and unblock them, or replace the drains all together. 

Remarka6le

Hi @ivanptr,

I apologise for my delayed reply, but I'm glad to see that @Remarka6le has provided a helpful solution. I'd agree that the Drain Clean 114g Root Control Tablets would be worth a try. The enzyme un-blockers are generally design for organic wastes including fats, hair, soap and grease.

If you're looking for a chemical free option then a drainage expert with a water jetter would be your best bet.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

20220309_162903.jpg

Thanks @MitchellMc, @Remarka6le @StevieB @😄, just some quick updates:

after drying it off with dehumidifer, we used stanley knife,  leveler and bought these wall vent grille from bunnings to make the wall less ugly.

Better than patch it up with plaster filler since we want to see if our silicone sealling around the window is effective and are waiting for the next storm

We will try the drain clean tablet this weekend! cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects